Replacing ignition barrel

Mikey

The ignition key on my series 1 Disco 300 TDi, is sticking and will no longer turn in the lock, tried all sorts but it will not budge. The key can be removed and reinserted but wont turn.

I am planning on ordering a new barrel/lock but would like advice on removing and fitting etc. I have searched the forums but cannot find the info here yet.

Thanks in advance.

The ignition key on my series 1 Disco 300 TDi, is sticking and will no longer turn in the lock, tried all sorts but it will not budge. The key can be removed and reinserted but wont turn.

I am planning on ordering a new barrel/lock but would like advice on removing and fitting etc. I have searched the forums but cannot find the info here yet.

Thanks in advance.

They are easy to change.

Remove wheel (+ airbags collar if applicable)

Remove cowling

remove stalks

then drop the colmn as low as possible and get a sharp small chisel or punch and knock round the top of the 2 threaded studs that hold the barrel clamp on the column.

pull out the 2 plugs that are behind the drop down cover on the drivers side (one brown one and a white on thats in the fusebox)

Replacement is a reversal of removal. I can do one in about 20 minutes.

Rergards

Colin

Edited by BogMonster

Hi there, If you are replacing the sterring column lock ( which comes with the ignition barrel ) then it is a very simple job. If you undo the cowling behind the steering wheel you will see the steering lock which is held in place by 2 sheer bolts . These bolts can be easily removed with a chisel or a punch and then the column lock will come off in 2 parts. just unclip the wire harness plug and refit the new one in reverse. The whole mechanism costs around £30 ish. Hope that helps.

I to had the same problem and had to replace the entire lock/ignition assembly on our Disco I. The instructions that the guys posted above are too easy to follow and it does take literally minutes to change out with the minimal of tools. I'd suggest looking on eBay for a replacement as the prices have come down on them the past year where they can be bought for under £40 (new)

Todd.

If you want a good laugh, look to see what the LR genuine manual says. You have to remove just about everything including the steering column to get at the lock.

ps we get our locks fixed by a locksmith for about £10. Haven't had any comebacks in the last few years so he does a good job. It is apparently always the same bit that fails and he replaces it with one made of better metal.