Registering a vehicle as 'scrapped'

Orange

I am aware that I can take a vehicle to a scrap yard and fill in the V5 (log book, whatever you want to call it) to tell the DVLA that the vehicle has been scrapped and provide the name/address of the reputable vehicle dismantler and all is fine.....

What are the options when breaking the vehicle yourself??

Am I best to break the worst of it and transport the chassis, with V5, to a vehicle dismantler, or are the DVLA OK with me just registering it as scrapped without providing details of who by??

The collective's thoughts and experiences...........???

Section 6 of the v5, about halfway down on the right, box 17. Tick if you break the vehicle personally and enter the date in box 18. Sign the declaration and send it to the DVLA.

If you want to weigh the body in I'd break it into four or five bits and remove and keep the VINs.

When you break a vehicle - if you do it yourself or sell it to be scrapped, you get a confirmation letter from the DVLA aknowledging that it has been scrapped.

I recently scrapped a vehicle - sold it to EMR. I sent off the slip - stating that it was scrapped by them and got the following letter.

'Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for telling us that you are no longer the keeper of or have scrapped the vehicle with the above mentioned registration mark. I can confirm we have updated our records.

If you recieve an application form for renewing your vehicle license for this vehicle, please ignore it. You do not need to contact us as we print these forms (V11 or V85/1) up to 6 weeks before the license comes to an end.

Yours faithfully

(scrawl)

RUSSELL TROWBRIDGE-MATTHEWS'

Les.

Oh, it's that simple...........Thanks chaps.

I just wondered if the DVLA were starting to get a bit more stringent on matters like this. After-all, some of the sheds that I see running around look like they have been scrapped several times over!!!

Time to get on with it, then...

..... After-all, some of the sheds that I see running around look like they have been scrapped several times over!!!

That's why I suggested removing VINS and hanging on to them, same with number plates. It will protect you from your car's ID being attached to another vehicle.