LT230 Swap

Hi all,

After having read the Tech Archive thread about how to swap over the cases, I have a "quick" question.

Which Gearbox is better? LT77 or R380? Will be using the Truck for mostly Pay and Play and Laning, need to use it on the road so it will never be a Challenge Truck. Engine is a 300tdi if it makes any difference.

The truck already has an R380 in it, all seems to work fine bar not always selecting Reverse first time and a very slight crunch into second from first if rushed.

The "new" Transfer case has come from a Discovery (with 1.22:1 ratio) but it also has a LT77 attached. Would it be worth trying to swap over the Gearboxes too? Is it even possible to modify a Discovery LT77 for a 90/Defender (as the selectors are in a different place)?

While I have the "new" Transfer case on the garage floor, what parts would it be an idea to change, is it just the Input Gear and seals? How would I know if the Input Gear is already cross drilled? Is it just a matter of remove it and find out?

Are the Seals for both the R380 output and Transfer Box simple or is it more involved than "hook out and press back in new"?

Sorry about all the questions, like to be as informed as I can be when I undertake a job such as this - Knew the LT230 was heavy, never knew it was quite "that" heavy though (could be to do with the LT77 being attached) :)

Cheers

Matt

R 380 is supposed to be the better box.

As above, stick with the R380. Although check the gearbox mainshaft for wear (if you didn't have the cross drilled input gear the mainshaft may need replacing (in which case i'd use the fact that you curently have an R380 to trade it in for a re-con one).

With the transfer box, changing the oil seals would probably be a good idea while you can, along with cross drilled input gear associated bearings and possibly bearing races. You need to pul the input gear to see if its the cross drilled type - its obvious when you do which type it is..