quickie seat box question

Are the side of the seatboxes structural...would drilling a 30mm hole on the passenger side be ok? Or alternatively if i was to cut out 3/4 of it and put a hinge on it, could it be used as a cubbyhole of sorts?

are there any downsides?

Apart from the fact that there is a battery in the way, I don't see a problem with it. The main strength is in the framework/round the edges.

I presume that there will be some sort of seal and/or box arrangement just in case the battery decides to let go of it's contents...

cool....the main reasons are that I have just fitted an x-charge and the 2 batteries in the box mean that I can't get at the non-captive bolt at the back for the bucket seats...so i was thinking of a wee hole where a spanner could go in....also worked out that there was about 10cm's of space between the edge of the battery box and the side of the batteries...so the creative juices were flowing and i though, what about a wee hinged door that could hold the jumpleads connected to an anderson connector.

i'll probably chicken out when i have a look at this weekend. don't like cutting into things too much

You are probably aware, but the bolts holding the seats in should be fixed to a plate that has a small rivet to hold it in place on the under-side of the seat box... I had to renew a coupe of mine (small piece of flat plate with an M8 nut welded to it). Got to be easier to do than cutting the seat box up.

Also, are you planning to use the jump leads to jump yourself, or help others out? If the latter, fine, if the former, why not fit a link lead between the two positive terminals and install a suitably rated cut-out (the type with the red handle) so you can flick the switch and jump yourself (ooo-er!) from the second battery... If you install the cut-out in a position that means the door won't shut with the key/handle in, then you can't leave it on by mistake and drain both batteries...

HTH

Adrian

For what it's worth, I cut a section out as well as I had the same problem getting at the bolts for the bucket seats. But I braced up the edges alongside with some spare sheet I had lying about to put some of the strength back, in case I get a fat passenger :)

Just stick a couple of lengths running the height of the box, vertically either side of the hole, to beef it up again.

Seems to be OK so far, and anyway if it all comes on top, I'm the one who's driving so I'll be OK ;)