Electrical fan on 3.9

Fern

I'm thinking about geting rid of stock mechanical fan which is driven by the belt (got really tired of it's noise). And want to put electrical fan. Maybe I can use the fans from conditioner which are in front of radiator? Does anybody have experiense in this?

They also will come on when the coolant gets up to 88c without AC operating as I can testify, (NB Mine is the '95 facelift split AC) after I removed my viscous fan through our Australian Winter, & it came on when the temp gauge read about 1/2. It was still fine when our weather started to warm up, but by then I had fitted a 16" Davies - Craig Electric Fan (Aussie made) with an Intermotor thermostat from Simon at X-Eng. in the top hose. I don't think the LR AC fan would have adequately cooled the V8i by itself though but I didn't want to take the chance & I was only testing it anyway.

I think the existing LR must also be a boost to the viscous fan or ok in UK temps.

I wired it direct to the battery so it can come on at anytime regardless of ignition, & it will continue operating after I switch off if the engine bay temp is excessive.

Davies - Craig 16" Fan

I didn't use their mounting kit as I didn't wish to risk damage to the core, but made my own which is "freestanding" behind the radiator & can be removed quickly & replaced with the viscous fan if there is a problem. I still carry the viscous fan in the back.

A point of interest though. Without any fan fitted, it still only got up to 50% scale through the Ram Air effect.

Thanks for the replies. That's just what I thought.

Do you have wiring info how to install it? Never done this before, I'm thinking of how to reuse a stock temerature sensor. What do I need more besides fan itself? Some device should switch it on and off I bet:)

Davies - Craig fans come with a relay & I would think most respectable ones would.

I chose the X-eng/Intermotor t/stat because it is a totally sealed, robust, non-adjustable unit, & it has 2 temperature settings via spade terminals. I wired it to the coolest setting (88c).

If you fit it to the top hose, mount the stat at an angle below horizontal to ensure good contact with the coolant.