200 TDi running problems

TDi.Si

My 200tdi has been getting gradually worse and worse. Its got to the point where I can't drive it!

It struggles to start (turns over fine, but cranks for ages and somtimes needs a bit of throttle) and won't tick over when cold unless I come off the throttle gently. Once its ticking over its fine, will rev up fine and sounds fine. As soon as its put under load (i.e pulling away) it splutters and dies. Sometimes I can get it to stay running by flooring it. Also off load if I keep the revs at a constant, like 2000rpm it will suddenly rev up to almost 3000 and then come back down, it surges.

I have drained the sedimenter twice (what a job :blink: ) and changed the fuel filter.

I am thinking posibly blocked pickup in tank? Or faulty lift pump?

Filter was clean, sedimenter had a bit of water in but not loads. Drained both today, checked all the joints and took out the pickup to check it was clean. All seamed fine but still ran the same. Gave up for a while then tried driving it on a run to see if that helped, it didn't. Filled up with £40 of diesel and it seams to have sorted it! Mabey it was dirty/contaminated fuel.

Filter was clean, sedimenter had a bit of water in but not loads. Drained both today, checked all the joints and took out the pickup to check it was clean. All seamed fine but still ran the same. Gave up for a while then tried driving it on a run to see if that helped, it didn't. Filled up with £40 of diesel and it seams to have sorted it! Mabey it was dirty/contaminated fuel.

It might be worth taking the sedimentor bowl off and cleaning it out rather than just draining it, can make a big difference to running. It's also worth checking the inlet connection to the fuel filter, it can become blocked over time.