Defender Vibration

Help! My 200tdi 1991 defender 90 has developed a horrible vibration. It appears at 50mph no matter what gear im in. If i accelerate past this the vibration gets better but still does not go away. If i dip the clutch or take my foot of the axcelerator it goes away completly.

Now when the vibration occours the landy is not trying to force me anywhere and the steering is normal.

Could it be the prop UJs are dead? If so how would i check?

Any help gratefuly received!

Thanks

Paul

Hi.....

Had this problem recently with my 90......

You can check the uj's By holding onto the propshaft and giving them a good wiggle, you should be able to tell if there is any slack in there....

The other thing to check is that the yokes on the propshaft itself are inline, as if not it will cause vibration,

realligning the yokes on my rear prop solved the problem for me....

Hope this helps

Charlie

Cheers guys thanks for the response. Farmerboi, i havent taken my prop off so should the yokes still be inline?

If it makes any difference i was towing a 3ton trailer the day before the vibrations occoured and the landy was fine, next day the vibrations started with a vegenace A quick look underneath earlier revealed there was alot of grease splaid out of the UJ at the gearbox end of the rear prop.

I will try the leaver technique tomorrow and report back. Is it likely to be all the UJ's are knackered or just one?

It is likely only one UJ and if you've not pulled the sliders apart don't worry about yoke alignment.

Needs a small amount of spanner work but taking a prop off doesn't take to long, gives you a good chance to inspect it on the bench and by driving the truck with the remaining prop helps to isolate the problem.