Freelander noise pulling up and tracktion control kicks in

hyperion

My '98 freelander makes a bad noise. When i pull up and the traction control kicks in, up till now I only hear the sound pulling up not while driving constant.

I hear a loud bang (klunk noise) like metal of an axle "stick-slipping" . It's not a rattle as in the normal traction control sound. I assume it's the traction control system not working properly.

Anyone a tip on what to do, go to a garage is a good tip perhaps but not what I would like to do as the first action. ;)

:blink:

Is it the ABS or the TC?

Much more common for ABS to kick in when stopping than TC... isn't it?

I say when i pull up this means going faster (or try to) ;) or was I unclear on this.

This must be the TC (comes in when i pull up) and not the ABS is assume.

To explain:

I Have to drive backwards up a small hill to leave my garage (i could turn the car around but I drive in front first when I come home ;) ).

The car slips a bit when the bround i wet, so the TC kicks in.

Up 'till now it all worked fine but since a day of 2 this described sound apears when i do this.

What could it be?

If you have removed the prop shaft from the gearbox/IRD to the rear axle and the noise has stopped I suspect that the diff mountings need checking (as already stated).

The one at the front of the diff is the one that usually goes and is fairly easay to replace and not expensive. About £30 in UK for parts.

The IRD unit is broken, removed the plug in the IRD unit and looked inside, the gear moved 1cm left and 1 cm right. so i'm more or less sure it's the IRD unit.

Removed the axle to the rear wheels, I can still drive with front wheel drive. Because of the load is of the IRD gears now.

Does anyone have tips how to remove the IRD unit of the freelander without dismantling the entire bottom. :unsure:

@Llanigraham: Do you mean the diff mountings inside the IRD box (diff mounting = differential mounting inside the gearbox) read bearings, You know what i mean?

This isn't the problem as far as i can see now. The movement of the gear in the IRD is not normal. So I fear the repair will be a bit longer and complex. Or is the IRD box easy to remove? If anyone has a tip on the IRD repair please post it.

First i need a new IRD, I hope this will be not that expensive, but i heard big repair prices for this, perhaps i will try it myself with some help.