LAND ROVER V8 SUFFIX QUESTION

disconc

Hi everyone,

with a friend, we are rebuilding a V8 3.9 EFI autobox, 8.13 CR, from a 1998 discovery VIN : WAxxxxxx.

The engine has number 38D38976C.

I have found that : 38D means => factory 3.9 - "R.R DISC 3.9 EFI Auto 8.13:1 CR" which corresponds to the truth.

Now, I found on the V8 overhaul manual that engines without suffix B had the oil pump driven from the dizzy, and engines WITH suffix B had the oil pump crank driven.

Mine has indeed the oil pump crank driven, and is is also a serpentine belt.

Our question is : the engine is suffix C... what evolutions/differences are there from suffix B then ???

Our worry is about the overhaul procedures... indeed, between without and with suffix B, there are some differences on torquing methods etc... in some areas like heads, main bearings, etc...

Can we apply to this engine the same procedures as a "WITH suffix B" engine

Anyone with knowledge of these engines could tell me more please ?

Thank you all.

Erik.

Hi everyone,

with a friend, we are rebuilding a V8 3.9 EFI autobox, 8.13 CR, from a 1998 discovery VIN : WAxxxxxx.

The engine has number 38D38976C.

I have found that : 38D means => factory 3.9 - "R.R DISC 3.9 EFI Auto 8.13:1 CR" which corresponds to the truth.

Now, I found on the V8 overhaul manual that engines without suffix B had the oil pump driven from the dizzy, and engines WITH suffix B had the oil pump crank driven.

Mine has indeed the oil pump crank driven, and is is also a serpentine belt.

Our question is : the engine is suffix C... what evolutions/differences are there from suffix B then ???

Our worry is about the overhaul procedures... indeed, between without and with suffix B, there are some differences on torquing methods etc... in some areas like heads, main bearings, etc...

Can we apply to this engine the same procedures as a "WITH suffix B" engine

Anyone with knowledge of these engines could tell me more please ?

Thank you all.

Erik.

If the difference in torque methods is "apply x amount of torque and then turn 90 degrees or something" rather than torque up the bolts to 70N/M I'd suggest you get some old style bolts and use the old style torque methods as they are re-usable were as the later style ones are not. (I'm talking headbolts here)

The rest is pretty much the same procedure.

If the difference in torque methods is "apply x amount of torque and then turn 90 degrees or something" rather than torque up the bolts to 70N/M I'd suggest you get some old style bolts and use the old style torque methods as they are re-usable were as the later style ones are not. (I'm talking headbolts here)

The rest is pretty much the same procedure.

Hi,

thanks for the advice.

Any idea about the evolution behind the suffix "C" ?

I was thinking maybe it was the serpentine belt... but found the change point for serpentine belt being maybe VIN MA081991 ???

Still in the mist... :P

Cheers.

Erik.

• 5 months later...