Caliper Spacer Kits

Divster

Guest diesel_jim

What make are the callipers? think mine have "AP" cast into them, but anyhow, i'd have thought the manufacturer would sell you a couple far cheaper than Zeu$ would?

I did a quick search and see that RPI do spacer kits.

hmmm, been thinking about this but ismn;t this nothing more than a thck piece of metal machines to the right shape? So can you not make your own if you have the right thicness of aluminium say? The sealing is doen by an o-ring so it does nto need to be machined flat to mega precision?

hmmm, been thinking about this but ismn;t this nothing more than a thck piece of metal machines to the right shape? So can you not make your own if you have the right thicness of aluminium say? The sealing is doen by an o-ring so it does nto need to be machined flat to mega precision?

Unfortunately I don't have access to machines to do the work. Therefore I will have to buy from a manufacturer (as much as it pains me to part with cash). I would rather pay someone from the forum if they were doing a job lot :ph34r::ph34r:

hmmm, been thinking about this but ismn;t this nothing more than a thck piece of metal machines to the right shape? So can you not make your own if you have the right thickness of aluminium say? The sealing is done by an o-ring so it does nto need to be machined flat to mega precision?

IMHO, not a good idea - for one, I'm sure it is illegal to manufacture your own brake calliper components.

I'm fairly certain that it is not a good environnment for aluminium either. :(

IMHO, not a good idea - for one, I'm sure it is illegal to manufacture your own brake calliper components.

I'm fairly certain that it is not a good environnment for aluminium either. :(

really? :o not heard of that one. If that were the case, you'd expect it would be illegal to fit your own seals, brake pads, hoses etc, and only those who are registered would be allowed to do that, like CORGI for gas?

yep - aluminium is a no no.

http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/HEL_Performance_Mot...s_Aluminium.htm

really? :o not heard of that one. If that were the case, you'd expect it would be illegal to fit your own seals, brake pads, hoses etc, and only those who are registered would be allowed to do that, like CORGI for gas?

What material is land rover master cylinder made from?

I'm off to google aluminium and brake fluid......

Its not currently illegal to fit OEM or "to OEM Specification" spare parts but I'll bet if made your own seals or brake pads, your insurer would run a mile and (heaven forbid) if your car was investigated by Plod after a crash, they would be none too impressed! :rolleyes:

Aluminium Master Cylinders don't see anything like the vibration, loads or temp ranges and environment that callipers do. Even my motorbike has steel calipers I think and if anyone was going to try and shed weight it would be those fellows..

Interesting to see what you find though ;)