Disco with a liking of ditches...

TheRecklessEngineer

I lent my Disco to the parental unit for the summer, and very kindly they got it through the MOT in return. This involved fitting new tyres, a new steering joint and the garage that did both of these also did the tracking.

All well and good, except it now has a liking for veering off to the left. I need to drive with a constant turn to the right to make it go in a straight line.

I've also noticed that the O/S front spring has sagged by about 1/2" giving the disco a noticable list to the right.

I got the tape measure out to check if everything is in a straight line - the tracking appears to be spot on, however the front axle seems to be pushed forwards about 10mm on the off side. So it seems that the hedge homing instinct is due to the axle being wonky.

Is this likely to be due to the 1/2" sag in the suspension? As far as I can see, as the axle and the chassis are closer together, the radius arm is going to push the axle forward a bit. Is my thinking correct or is the answer something much more simple?

Maybe the steering wheel position was disturbed & now the straight ahead position is off & where you normally & instinctively would have had a slight pressure on to the right, you now don't.

It's easy to do by adjusting the track rod with the road wheels locked in the centre position, as it moves the drop arm & in turn the steering wheel rotation.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried swapping the tyres side to side, and no difference. The steering wheel is dead straight - or rather, if I let the wheel self-center then it ends up straight. However, if I let it self center on the road, then I end up in the ditch - hence the need to constantly steer right to go in a straight line.

It did sound to me like 10mm was a little much for only 1/2" of sag. Ill jack the chassis up on the OS so both sides are level, then ill measure again.