TD5 aux sockets

M&S

Hi all,

The 12v sockets in the D2 go off with the ignition which is great, I can leave my rechargable lamp, cool box, everything plugged in and don't have to worry about killing the battery...or so I thought. It would appear that this actually causes the alarm to go off a few seconds after you lock the truck :unsure:

I think what's happening is that the 12v lamp is discharging back into the system? The cool box alone isn't a problem, I can leave that plugged in and it goes on and off with the ignition, no alarms, all is good.

Does anyone know if the alarm system would detect the lamp (which has it's own internal rechargable battery)?

Also, I'm using a double adapter on the 12v socket and the lamp is actually powering the fridge (well, the fan is turning very slowly) when the ignition is off (that's how I know it's discharging). Is there some sort of electrical non-return valve available that I can pop in the lamps charging lead?

Cheers, Martin.

The non-return valve is called a diode. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

You can add one in the lamp's circuit as you said. Make sure you get a diode that can handle the max charging current of the lamp or the other devices you may want to plug in there. Since these aftermarket 12V plugs/splitters are rated at about 8A, then a 10A diode should be enough.

The alarm goes off when the fridge is working because it senses the hot air flow blown by the fridge fan through the motion detector.

Lock the vehicle with the key in the door and not the remote, this disables the interior sensors (e.g. if you want to leave a dog in the vehicle) and will identify whether interior sensing is causing your problem.

Thanks all, I shall try locking with the key (did that after the alarm went off twice with the hailstones the other night!) and see if the fridge still sets it off.

With the lamp I'll add a diode to the charging lead, hopefully that should sort that problem out. Easy when you know how :rolleyes:

Will report back when I'm done :ph34r:

Cheers, Martin