Electrical connections for doors

streaky

Following a coming together with an ARB equipped Land Cruiser on the Challenge...I have to replace the front door on my 300 Series Discovery.

My car has electric wing mirrors, central locking and electric windows as standard. Taking the door off will be the easy bit...it's only bolted on... but where are the electrical connector plugs or will the above fitments all have their own connections?

I'm think about doing the job myself and then getting the door and wing resprayed after I've fitted them on.

What about changing the locks barrel so I can use the original keys etc....easy job?

Any advice welcomed.

Thx.

S.

Hi There,

The lock barrel is contained in the door handle assembly. 2 nuts and 2 clips release the whole lever mechanism. A bit fiddley but well worth the effort to keep the same key.

As for the wiring, at first glance it looks like seperate connectors for window, door lock, mirrors. I will check up and post another reply later.

The connections are done on 3 connectors. It is not too clear on the drawings, but each door has its own "wiring harness". It looks like the harness is connected in the door post on 3 connectors that are arranged so they cannot be mixed up. It also looks like the harness comes into pieces inside the door also. These pieces are on connectors that cannot be mixed up.

So the answer is, pull it apart, change what is required, and it will drop back together easily. The hardest part will be weight of the door, and getting the trim off and on without breaking much. The little plastic clips are only a few pence each , so protect the panel and loose the clip if it wont come apart.

Good luck with it.

With the caveat that mine is a 200 disco - but IF they are similar (?) then:

There is no need to unbolt the door - remove the 'C' clips on the hinges and restraint, and it will lift off its hinge pins. If putting the same door back on (not in your case) doing it this way will preserve the alignment.

Now the wiring: This is accessible behind the trim in the footwell and does (as mentioned above) consist of separate connectors which cannot be mixed up. After undoing them you will need to remove the convoluted rubber wiring cover that runs between the door and the A pillar - remove it from the A pillar - and then carefully feed the connectors through one at a time.

If you don't finish the job at one sitting then you can replace the door (one pin is longer for easy location) and shut it with the wiring loom hanging down (careful not to trap it though).

Hope this helps.

Roger