Help, converting front pulleys on a V8

Boothy

Thinking about converting my twin alternator, ZF74'ed, non aircon, megasquirted V8 into a flat belted affair in the hope I might stretch less belts through over tightening in an attempt to trying to stop em squealing and slipping when wet.

At the moment I've got a top left hand alternator (100A), and a mid mounted right hand (100A) alty, which gives the grand sum of four different belts to carry and stretch when I'm competing.

Common sense tells me to go whith a bracket at the top for both alternators side by side (out of water) and one long belt which I know has been done successfully (how do you spell that?).

This winters closed season project is to re-chassis my 86" challenge motor to a 100" but not alter the overall length of the vehicle, put the radiator in the back (at last), full hydro-steer, move the engine right back into the bulkhead (about 10"), keep both props equall length (saves carrying 2)

make room at the front for a twin motor if funds allow, and move the front crossmember back a bit, at the moment everthings so tight that if it throws a belt I have to remove the radiator (massive chevvy dual core alloy one from Summit racing) and it's twin electric fans which is a ball ache and regular event.

Hopefully when its in the back it will help.

I want a really good approach angle.

Any tips on covers or pulleys etc and any stocks or spares that can be bribed, swapped for beer vouchers or other things, generally any ideas/photo's

Thanks guys, standing by for a long winter.

Chris

I wouldn't mount the alternators side by side using the same belt, purely because the bet will slip on the pulley if you don't get enough belt wrap around.

you need to put them on seperate belts to do this or use another small pulley on the back of the belt to zig zag the belt between alternators to increase the contact area on each pulley. As an example the power steering pump on the 300tdi goes some way to achieve this. Don't know if this is possible using v belts as the thickness of the reduces the bendy/flexibility.

HTH