Smell of burning Gaiters and brake pad

dantd5

:blink: I need to know if it is normal to have strong tyre smell after mounting of Chrome gaiters or is it the new brake pads that I mounted that gives away that smell? :( I am a litle bit scared it might ignite any momemt!! :unsure:

A look at the Gaiters...

Nb one thing too... Them gaiters never close or seal irrespective of how much sealant one applies. Is it just me who can't do the job? Any one been to this?

post-7610-1227513269_thumb.jpg

I need to know if it is normal to have strong tyre smell after mounting of Chrome gaiters or is it the new brake pads that I mounted that gives away that smell?

Nb one thing too... Them gaiters never close or seal irrespective of how much sealant one applies. Is it just me who can't do the job? Any one been to this?

I have fitted several of the Bailcast split gaiters, some over drive shaft CVs on 'normal' front wheel drive cars, and two over Land Roves swivel balls, although not on a Defender.

The gaiters do seal, the superglue supplied is good industrial quality, although the setting time may be extended if you are doing the job outside in Norway, in the cold snow conditions you show.

Glue the edges when the gaiter is NOT in its' final position, this is so the rubber is not stretched while you are holding the edges together. When you have the first part of the gaiter glued you can move it out of the way so you can glue the next fold or two. Repeat until you reach the end.

The gaiter certainly shouldn't burn, or smell hot. I'd suspect the brake pads doing that, although exactly what has gone wrong I wouldn't like to guess.

If you haven't got the edges of the gaiter glued together I'd be tempted to remove it, just so you can be absolutely certain that it is the brake pads that are smelling, and that whatever corrective action you take is effective in stopping the smell.

Than go back to the gaiters.

If the steel bands are damaged beyond reuse, plastic tie wraps are as good, although both benefit from use of a proper setting tool, which no-one, including me, ever has. The excess length of the strap or tie wrap should be cut off.

Good Luck

Jack the front axle and spin the wheel by hand to see if there is anything rubbing.

Also you can check wether the brakes are getting hot without braking.

As ther are no (fast) moving parts at the gaiters it's most likely the brakes.

Brake caliper pistons may be corroded at their outer end and may hence to fully come back.