Playing with relays

Hello one and all.

Well I'll be wiring up my 6 8" WIPAC spots and the 4 small rectangular ones, oh and the 2 rear reversing ones aswell :)

They are wired as follows:

Roof rack:

2 wired pairs of 8" Wipacs

Light Bar:

2 wired pairs of rectangular flood lights

A bar:

1 wired pair of 8" Wipacs.

Now I have run heavy duty cable to each pair of lights to a relay,

What I want to know is that if I use this ( http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=3080598 ) 5 pin relay, Do I wire it up as a standard 4 pin spot light relay and use the 5th pin like another power output, negating the need to use 2 four pin relays?

I hope that makes sense :)

Cheers Andi

Guest diesel_jim

As long as you're using make contact relays, not changeover contact then yup, you can use "one" (But like Al says... make sure it's capable of carrying the correct amperage)

IMO i'd use a "standard" changeover relay (well, several of them). that way, if one goes wrong, you can get one from anywhere, instead of having to order one from RS or similar. (and if the relay on another application on your truck goes wrong, you can pinch a spotlight relay to get it going again...ie Td5 fuel pump, which i'd consider is more important that having my roof lights working. :lol: )