3.5 V8 EFI dying when decelerating

yellow

My newly acquired 110 with a 3.5 V8 EFi (on petrol only, not gassed) transplant is cutting out when decelerating, mostly when down shifting or freewheeling between 3rd and 2nd... Really annoying, because I need to restart the car either by quickly releasing the clutch, or using the key.

It seems to idle really nicely, and going through the gears is no problem.

Anyone an idea?

My newly acquired 110 with a 3.5 V8 EFi (on petrol only, not gassed) transplant is cutting out when decelerating, mostly when down shifting or freewheeling between 3rd and 2nd... Really annoying, because I need to restart the car either by quickly releasing the clutch, or using the key.

It seems to idle really nicely, and going through the gears is no problem.

Anyone an idea?

on the new transits we had this at work and it was the fuel filter.

Guest diesel_jim

Not sure if the 3.5 has it, but my old 3.9 had a speed transducer on the transferbox (connected to the ECU). when the vehicle was moving (ie, anything more than walking pace) it would raise the idle by a few hundred RPM, just to stop that exact same thing.

Most efi problems (not all) are caused by air leaks. Yellow, you will notice about a dozen rubber pipies around the inlet manifold, these will go soft with age and let air in. Suggest you jubilee clip all of them, you will need to take the top half of the plenum chamber off to get to some of them.

You might find that one of the little vacuum pipes to the fuel pressure regulator (rear of manifold) has come off, that could easily cause the problem you describe.

You also need to make sure the throttle cable is not binding, the black adjuster is sometimes overtightened or not in the right place.

Somebody will be along soon with the "M" word.

Most efi problems (not all) are caused by air leaks. Yellow, you will notice about a dozen rubber pipies around the inlet manifold, these will go soft with age and let air in. Suggest you jubilee clip all of them, you will need to take the top half of the plenum chamber off to get to some of them.

You might find that one of the little vacuum pipes to the fuel pressure regulator (rear of manifold) has come off, that could easily cause the problem you describe.

You also need to make sure the throttle cable is not binding, the black adjuster is sometimes overtightened or not in the right place.

Somebody will be along soon with the "M" word.

I guess this could be it, also because when I stop the engine with the key, there is a sucking noise, as in a vacuum that is being filled.

Will dive on top of the engine tomorrow and check out the rubber pipes.

I already slackened the black adjuster on the throttle cable a tad, but the cable was not binding... (At least not like my last V8, which basically had an involuntary cruise control.