300Tdi - surging at 2000rpm

Hi folks.

I have a 300Tdi that surges at between 1800 and 2200rpm. Its a bit like a novice drive fouling up the clutch when pulling away in first, kangaroo-ing away. It can happen with gentle throttle acceleration or at steady speed, but is worst on the over-run. I have just replaced the fuel filter and a failed lift pump, and fully bled the system, and while it now starts better and the surging has slightly reduced, it's still very noticeable.

Is the injection pump history, or is there another (cheaper) possibility to consider first? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi folks.

I have a 300Tdi that surges at between 1800 and 2200rpm. Its a bit like a novice drive fouling up the clutch when pulling away in first, kangaroo-ing away. It can happen with gentle throttle acceleration or at steady speed, but is worst on the over-run. I have just replaced the fuel filter and a failed lift pump, and fully bled the system, and while it now starts better and the surging has slightly reduced, it's still very noticeable.

Is the injection pump history, or is there another (cheaper) possibility to consider first? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It could be caused by small amounts of sand/dirt in the injection pump, which usually happens when the tank is allowed to become empty or nearly empty.

Try changing the diesel filter and add injector cleaner to the tank. This has done the trick for me in the past, on a slightly elder model LR diesel though.

You don't say how old it is or how many miles its covered. Mine did a milder version of this it felt like I was bliping the accelerator now and then, I was told to use a product called 10K boost, its about £20 a tin and its sprayed into the turbo with the hose removed, my 300 TDI felt like a new motor for ages after that and the problem has not returned. It created some smoke while spraying the boost in but then it cleared so it must have been burning off deposits of some kind.

Bob

You don't say how old it is or how many miles its covered. Mine did a milder version of this it felt like I was bliping the accelerator now and then, I was told to use a product called 10K boost, its about £20 a tin and its sprayed into the turbo with the hose removed, my 300 TDI felt like a new motor for ages after that and the problem has not returned. It created some smoke while spraying the boost in but then it cleared so it must have been burning off deposits of some kind.

Bob

Sorry - it's a 1995 vehicle with about 150,000 miles.

You think it might be something on the induction side, rather than fuel, then?

Your vehicle is much the same age and mileage as mine, though you spray this 20K Boost in the induction its cleaning the combustion chambers and preventing build up. At £20 and 10 minutes its worth a go.

Bob

doesnt a bit of petrol mixed in the diesel achieve the same thing?

doesnt a bit of petrol mixed in the diesel achieve the same thing?

I've never heard that one, I don't think I would want to put the wrong fuel in my vehicle though. I had heard that spraying water from one of the mister hand sprays also worked, but I gave that one a miss to, it turns to steam and dislodges the gung!.

I can only say in certainty, that I've used the 20K Boost a few times now without any harmfull effects and definate improvment in my engine.

Bob