Oil pressure an oil temp ????

mudmuncher

Hi all

I had a oil pressure and oil temp gauge kicking about in the shed so i decided to fit them to my series (200 tdi)

I just wondered at normal running temp and on a average run what sort of temp and pressure should they be reading its a 200 tdi engine .

Many thanks chris

When I fitted an oil temperature gauge I fitted it in the sump, as I wasn't trying to measure the hottest point of the oil, but the temperature of the bulk of the oil.

Some people want to measure the oil where it leaves the engine to head towards the oil cooler. Note that if a thermostat is fitted (as it should be) the oil temp sensor should be the engine side of the thermostat.

As to actual temperature I think the best advice is to speak to the company whose oil you use.

As a rule of thumb you want it hot enough to steam off condensation and the water by-products of combustion, but not so hot that the additive package in the oil starts to break down prematurely.

I would have in mind 100 to 120 C, but I would follow my own advice and be prepared to modify that after speaking to the oil manufacturer.

Do note that it takes a LOT longer for oil to reach temperature, compared to coolant. Oil will never get warm while the engine is idling, the engine has to be producing power.

I've picked up information from Land Rover factory manuals about earlier styles of engine (and oil).

The Series 2 handbook states max oil temperature to be 90 degrees C when used to drive auxiliary equipment driven via a PTO.

2.5TD Oil Pressure is 35 - 65 psi @ 2000 rpm

Oil Cooler was apparently optional. Feed & return at oil filter attachment point, which had a thermostat added when a cooler was fitted. I found no information on the additional oil capacity, nor the thermostat opening temperature, nor the recommended oil temperatures for the 2.5TD.

The bit about earlier LR engines may or may not help.

I see the 300TDi engine (taken from the Disco 1 manual) gives :

Pressure, engine warm at normal operating speeds 25 - 55lbf/in 2 = 1,76 - 3,87Kgf cm 2 ........

HTH