driving a fridge

ianpittas

hi, i have just bought a '86 r/fover 3.5 efi.it seems to run fine,the engine takes a little time to warm up but there is no heat in the blower fan at all .i first checked the stat to find there was'nt one there,so fitted a new one,but still no heat.there are two rubber hoses toward the rear of the plenum chamber that bend upwards and have copper 'u'bends on them which then go back to the bulkhead presumably to the heater matrix ,these never seem very hot no matter how long the engine has been running.

any idea's as i am getting colder by the day.

"any idea's as i am getting colder by the day. "

Bleed the system. With the engine off and cold, open one of the pipe joints on the path to the heater matrix. Pour a 50/50 mix of antifreeze / water into one of the open ends (a funnel can help). Stop when coolant pours out of the other half of the open joint.

Now close the joint and top up the engine by the conventional method.

This often involves filling the radiator via any large plug screwed into one corner, THEN topping up any expansion bottle to the correct mark.

For the moment, leave the cap off the expansion tank and the plug OFF the radiator. Start the engine and watch the coolant through the plug hole. As the thermostat is closed there should be little or no flow, although the level may drop. When it starts to flow (and rise in level), screw the plug in. Wait a little longer before replacing the cap on the expansion tank. Again, act when the level reaches the neck of the filler.

Throughly warm the engine (take it for a drive of about 5 miles). Take a screwdriver, your funnel, and some fresh coolant mix with you, which will hopefully ensure you don't need them.

On your return, examine for leaks, leave the bonnet open so the engine cools. When cool check the levels; radiator first, then the expansion tank. Top up as required.

Check levels, in the expansion tank at least, before or after every trip.

If after a few trips, you find you are always topping the tank up, or the heater started hot but has reverted to blowing cold, you need to find the coolant leak.

It could be external to the engine, but it could also be a head gasket. The thermostat was probably removed in an attempt to stop the engine overheating; and it was overheating because of low coolant.

As a very temporary fix, try leaving the cap off the expansion tank all the time; just don't leave the engine idling in traffic. If the system isn't pressurised it will be less likely to leak through any gaskets.

If it appears to be relevant, start searching on 'V8 coolant loss' in any forum you care to choose.

At less than 30 posts I understand you don't have access to the Technical Archive on this Forum, but there may be some informative posts in the different sub-forums.

Good Luck.

To add to what David suggests, when you have disconnected the two hoses, stick a hose pipe in one and flush the matrix for a good while. Then stick it in the other one and back flush it.

When my heater went cold this method liberated loads of crud and restored the supply of heat.

To add to what David suggests, when you have disconnected the two hoses, stick a hose pipe in one and flush the matrix for a good while. Then stick it in the other one and back flush it.

When my heater went cold this method liberated loads of crud and restored the supply of heat.

cheers chaps,put the hose through it and a load of carp came out,sealed and seems ok now. :rolleyes: