Mud In The Bell Housing

benbenukuk

Were you stuck in a deep hole with bumper water level recently? Im assuming you just found muddy water and not actually mud in the housing??? Theres never a perfect seal between the bellhousing and the engine and depending on how often you remove the bung it can build up. When i fit an engine i always put a small bead of silicon sealant on the mating surface and it helps. As regards to cleaning i would leave the bung out and drive it for a while to dry it out, i wouldnt try to flush with water as it may result in muddy water contaminating your clutch and you dont want that. :D:D:D

Were you stuck in a deep hole with bumper water level recently? Im assuming you just found muddy water and not actually mud in the housing??? Theres never a perfect seal between the bellhousing and the engine and depending on how often you remove the bung it can build up. When i fit an engine i always put a small bead of silicon sealant on the mating surface and it helps. As regards to cleaning i would leave the bung out and drive it for a while to dry it out, i wouldnt try to flush with water as it may result in muddy water contaminating your clutch and you dont want that. :D:D:D

I didn't get stuck but I was gunning it some through some deep muddy water, Do you think there is any point in me putting the plug in? cheers. Ben

There is always a point to having the plug in, as without it you will completely submerge the clutch/rear of crank in muddy water... I don't know if V8 rear crank seals are as good as TDi ones, but if they are, you may also end up with water entering the crank case through there...

Just remove the plug every now and then when not out playing in the mud and the heat from the engine will dry the housing...

There is always a point to having the plug in, as without it you will completely submerge the clutch/rear of crank in muddy water... I don't know if V8 rear crank seals are as good as TDi ones, but if they are, you may also end up with water entering the crank case through there...

Just remove the plug every now and then when not out playing in the mud and the heat from the engine will dry the housing...

Thanks, I will take it out soon as im finished next time im off-road. Ben