neat veg oil

neat veg is a bit of a non starter at this time of the year despite heating it, if it freezes in the tank it turns to a sort of grease/wax and you wont get it out of the tank. the best way is a 50/50 mix with derv in the winter, in the summer you need a small deisel tank as a starter and then when warm change over to veg with an inline heater. or be really ingenious and fit an imersion heater to your tank and then pre warm it, and then just run it pre warmed from the tank and with an inline to warm the oil getting to injectors from the filter.

ive not used an electric heater but i run a twin tank setup on my 200tdi rangerover, (start on diesel then switch to veg)

having forgotten to switch back to diesel on a couple of occasions i can say that i would not recommend 100% veg to start on, it will start eventually but smokes quite a bit when it does and must be putting a lot of load on the pump while trying to pump thick oil,

the problem with electric heaters is that you cannot heat the oil that is already in the pump and injectors so it wont make any difference to the temp of the oil until you have been running long enough to replace the cold thick oil with hot thin oil, this is the reason i decided on a twin tank setup, i know there are people running on a single tank with a heater but to me it doesnt seem to be the right way to do it,

the other way is to run on a mix as timmy511 said, you shouldnt have any trouble with doing this and you dont need any mods at all, you can prob run a higher ratio than 50/50 but you will have to try it out and see,

just to add i have been running on 100% veg (switched when warm/after about 4 or 5 mins of running, doesnt have to be at full working temp) and even at -5 i didnt have any probs with it freezing and the lift pump sucked it through the filter cold (before the heat exchanger)

also i only use svo (new oil) and not wvo (waste oil), things may be different if using wvo as all the extra fats and water content it has, maybe someone else has some experience with this,

ill stop talking now :D

hope this helps

martin

hi cheers all for advice been doing a lot of thinking on this idea with your advice and more research it dosent seem to be as good as the makers claim ie they will work really well with a warm engine but i cant see them working great with a cold engine

my original idea was to run a twin tank set up so if poss could you give advice on the set up ie do you use electric pumps to pump oil with simple flick switches in cab or is there a way to use lift pump from engine also do you still need to heat the oil in some way on switch over or will it run as is on a warm engine cheers