Disco 1 - poss. clutch change, to do or not to do?

POSBORNE

I have a 200tdi, H reg standard disco 1, that's done about 220,000 miles. Thers's was no history with the vehicle when i bought it, and i haven`t changed the clutch, in the 3years i have owned it. Iys recently passed through an mot, but have just noticed that the clutch may be on its way out. the symptoms are that the revs can be be abit iratic sometimes amd not keeping a steady reading when at constant speed, othertimes it can be normal.

All i want to know is how long would it take to change a clucth? is it an engine out job, or can it be done with the engine in situ? How much for a clutch? I was planning to get the garage to replace due to being a mechanic novice, but the garage are willing for me to get parts for them.

thanks

Paul

Clutch change is a relatively straight forward job, just made difficult in a Disco by the awkward bellhousing bolts adjacent to the bulkhead/transmission tunnel. We've had an engine out of a Disco in under 2 hours before, but that was with the benefit of having done it previously.

If you run a search on here (in the Disco forum using the advances options) you will find a few threads detailing the various ways of getting the engine out...

I would budget for a garage charging you 4 hours.

Parts-wise, don't buy a Britpart one!! You'll get well practiced at clutch changes if you do!! If you ring the likes of Bearmach etc, they will sell you a complete kit (clutch plate, release plate and release bearing) and if your motor has done 220,000 miles of unknown history, you might like to replace the clutch fork, too. I believe that Delphi and Borg & Beck are the OEM.

You might also like to buy a couple of the little plastic clips that locate the slave cylinder actuator arm in the clutch fork, too... I ended up buying 3 or 4 due to heavy-handedness!!

If in doubt about part numbers etc, the search should bring them up, but a PM to Western might also bear some fruit...

HTH

Adrian

I've done 5 or 6 disco clutch changes in the past.Its easy enough once you've got the top bell housing bolts out.Its debateable weather its easier to pull the engine forward or drop / push the gearbox back .First time it took around 6hrs but as always it gets easier (now down to approx 4hrs).A good quality clutch & release arm should only be £85ish .If you have the gear I would pull the engine forward (you need to remove the engine mount studs to allow this easily).Good luck & what else is there to do between christmas & new year