stonefied axles

tinker

Hi Guys,

i was rummaging around the yard and discovered some stonefield axles that i had saved, "may come in useful i thought" what i want to know is where there any lockers or limited slip diffs fitted, would have a look but too cold to start getting the spanners out today! any ideas chaps? they came off a p3000 found the gearbox, transferbox as well, are spares available, looking at the axles they look like dana 60/salisbury/hurth type.

thanks

A mate had one and I don't think it had lockers at either end. I think front and rear are also slightly different ratios which is dealt with in the torque proportioning tbox. Unfortunately he had a an LT95 box out of Rangie in his and couldn't figure out why it kept blowing the centre diff until he checked the ratios. Cured by fitting 101 axles.

A mate had one and I don't think it had lockers at either end. I think front and rear are also slightly different ratios which is dealt with in the torque proportioning tbox. Unfortunately he had a an LT95 box out of Rangie in his and couldn't figure out why it kept blowing the centre diff until he checked the ratios. Cured by fitting 101 axles.

so with different ratios, i guess that would lock the centre diff quicker when off road..

Think the Stonefield had a New Process(??) Tbox with viscous coupling that took care of locking/ratio difference and did 60/40 torque split. The difference is enough to cook an LT95 diff.

The vehicle in question was a basic chassis cab without engine/gearbox. When they packed up/went bust they were local to us and he acquired a chassis. Ended up as a MF combine(6.354)/101/P300hybrid :blink:

Remember the Malaysian ones being built in Knight Road, Strood. 400 were built I think for them, suckers :rolleyes:

When we had the really bad snow in 1987, the local health authority and fire brigade had 6x4 demonstrators.

For those that don't know, the Stonefield was part of one of those 80's government sponsered schemes for job creation in Scotland that inevitably failed until rescued by an Asian businessman only to die a couple of years later. Simplistic view but typical of the times! Sort of a 101 with space frame chassis and sourced in American automotive bits.