200tdi engine damage - latest

Replaced the head gasket on my 200tdi after it gave up a few weeks ago and started to burn water (gasket had blown through from no.3 cylinder to to one of the triangular shaped coolant passageways). Also replaced one of the pushrods which was bent.

After putting it all back together its obvious something is wrong. Lots of smoke at low speeds, white and blue which clears as revs increase although then it also kicks out a bit of black smoke for good measure. The engine also sounds lumpy (as though it could be running on three cylinders) lack of power also evident, although as revs increase it seems to pick up.

Then there's the noise - almost a chuffing sound at tickover which at full revs sounds more metallic as though a valve is going to shoot through the head. could it be a broken ring? I guess something must have gone wrong to have bent one of the pushrods.

I realise it could be almost anything but would appreciate ideas on what to check next.

Head was skimmed and valve clearances reset by the way.

Any help much appreciated

Mark

did you check all the pushrods for straightness ?

are the rockers sat in the pushrods & cam followers correctly ?

was the timing altered at all ?

Yes I checked the other pushrods which seemed straight.

Whats the best way of making sure the pushrods are seated correctly? I think there ok I made sure the tops were engaged with the rocker arms as I tightened the rocker bolts.

Could the timing have been affected? I haven't altered anything I don't think. Is there a way of checking without removing the timing case and pulley etc

The cam belt timing won't be affected if you haven't touched it. Sometimes the bottom of the pushrod sits out of the lifter slide and when you adjust the tappets, you actually put one or more vale timing out (the gap is too big, as the rod quite often finds it's way into the correct position). If you remove the rocker cover - you can look down each pushrod and see if it's seated centrally in the slide. Running on three after a head job is usually caused by this. There's also a possibility that if the rod was dislocated at the bottom - you bent it as you tightened the rocker shaft down.

Les.

The cam belt timing won't be affected if you haven't touched it. Sometimes the bottom of the pushrod sits out of the lifter slide and when you adjust the tappets, you actually put one or more vale timing out (the gap is too big, as the rod quite often finds it's way into the correct position). If you remove the rocker cover - you can look down each pushrod and see if it's seated centrally in the slide. Running on three after a head job is usually caused by this. There's also a possibility that if the rod was dislocated at the bottom - you bent it as you tightened the rocker shaft down.

Les.

I did this once and broke one of the cam followers easy to do but didn't half drive me mad

if you take the rocker cover off you see if you've done it very quickly.

I did this once and broke one of the cam followers easy to do but didn't half drive me mad

if you take the rocker cover off you see if you've done it very quickly.

I'll take the rocker gear off this morning and check the push rods again.

How would I know if the cam follower was broken? Did your engine show similar symptoms?

If the cup of the slide gets damaged, then the rod may well click as it moves about. The ball end of the rod should sit squarely in the centre of the slide. Excessive tappet gap or poor location can damage the slide.

post-2-1230546678_thumb.jpg

If the slide is damaged, you have to remove the head to replace it, and it comes as a kit - guide, lifter, and roller.

Les.

did you remove the injectors ???

did you clean the injector holes out in the head.

did you fit new copper washers on injectors , or if not did you anneal the old ones by heating them to red on the gas and then immediately dropping them in water to soften them .

if the old washers are used and not annealed again they wont seal very well at all and especially if you still have carbon in the injector holes in heads that hasnt been cleaned out with a wire brush on drill .

chuffing noise could be one or more of the injectors not sealing , especially if youve had the injectors out .

also is the head gasket in the right way up , it should be marked TOP , but the telltale sign if its in wrong is that on one corner of head you will see a bit sticking out which shouldnt be and also where the bit stick out which denoted TOP of gasket , it will be towards rear of te black rather than at front .

intake gasket and exhaust gasket can split between ports .

did you remove the injectors ???

did you clean the injector holes out in the head.

did you fit new copper washers on injectors , or if not did you anneal the old ones by heating them to red on the gas and then immediately dropping them in water to soften them .

if the old washers are used and not annealed again they wont seal very well at all and especially if you still have carbon in the injector holes in heads that hasnt been cleaned out with a wire brush on drill .

chuffing noise could be one or more of the injectors not sealing , especially if youve had the injectors out .

also is the head gasket in the right way up , it should be marked TOP , but the telltale sign if its in wrong is that on one corner of head you will see a bit sticking out which shouldnt be and also where the bit stick out which denoted TOP of gasket , it will be towards rear of te black rather than at front .

intake gasket and exhaust gasket can split between ports .

Just removed the rocker gear and checked the pushrods were positioned correctly. No visible damage to slides either. Replaced rocker gear and reset valve clearances.

Then as if by magic smoke disappears, (well almost, a bit of black on hard acceleration but its always done that) thanks Les.

However I can still hear this chuffing noise and eventually worked out its coming out of No.3 injecter. Took it out only to find no copper washer, so had a look at parts left over from head gasket job and sure enough there was one new injector washer left over - whoops! I didn't read your reply until after working this out but you were right!

Anyway thats now sorted and feeling pretty chuffed took her out for a drive to fill up with diesel. I could then hear a knocking noise that seems to be coming from the manifold side of the engine. Next thing after filling up, by now its dark, I look behind and there's sparks coming out of the exhaust. I'm no expert on engines but I'm pretty sure this isn't a good sign. Anyway by the time I got home the sparks had receded but this knocking nosie definately wasn't there before. What else can I check, tried to pinpoint the noise with a mechanis stethascope but no luck as yet.

Thanks

Mark