Alternative Air Suspension P38

Reg

Hi,

Has anybody fitted a supplementary air compressor to the P38? I am thinking of fitting a second compressor in the boot tyre well feeding directly into the air tank and controlled by its own pressure switch. This would cut down the pump cycling on the existing compressor and extend its life.

Arnott Ind also supply a range of aftermarket compressors, valve blocks tanks etc plus full kits to do what the RR box does sometimes but without the computer, just a small switch selector panel. Coupled with a set of gen 111 Arnott airsprings I think that this would replace the whole BECM and box of tricks at a fraction of the price of the RR parts.

post-8434-1230824186_thumb.jpg post-8434-1230824297_thumb.jpg

If your existing EAS system isn't leaking the compressor will last for years. You do need to maintain the system, principally by changing the air springs rather than trying to go on and on with the old ones.

You know of Arnott Air Gen III springs, which are pretty expensive, compared to standard springs.

Presumably you are aware of Rover Renovations?

If you want a budget maintenance approach why not get a seal or a compressor overhaul kit from them.

I don't see how fitting a complete secondary system is the cheap option.

Have you planned an air dryer into this secondary system?

HTH

Hi David,

I have a reasonable compressor in the box at the moment and after fitting some new isolating feet I have to be sitting at the lights to hear it. Maybe the racket from this before I fixed it made me aware of how often the pump kicks in.

I have already built up a spare compressor with a new piston ring so that is also covered, but it would be nice for the air tank to be topped up so ithe main compressor doesnt run as soon as the ride height is raised when I stop.

I understand that because the pressure flow and return to the tank uses the same line the pump senses a pressure drop before the tank pressure equalises with the line sensor.

The air bags look OK at the moment and it stays up on all corners over several days. I've washed out the inlet filter in white spirit with a little engine oil added as it is only a little foam filter which pops out of it's housing.

As I live in Cyprus the P38 spares situation is not so good as UK, so I'm gradually building up a set of spares starting with a spare rebuilt 4 pin dif, pollen filters, Heater flap motor etc. When the air bags do start to go I shall use Arnott units as the roads here are very variable and potholes freqent! Shocks are already uprated to Konis.

Regards Reg

I see alot of these cars now with badly worn height sensors,they will give the same output at several different heights which confuses the ECU as it tries to level the car.If your car is capable of holding its air,has a good compressor but worn sensors then its very likely the cause of the compressor running so much.About 8 mins constant running should fill the air receiver to 10bar and then switch off.

The EAS is only reliable for 80-100k miles,after this the air springs,sensors and compressor are all on a downward slope and should be given a good check over.If I was running one I would worry more about a failing drive pack,(ANR3900.) than all the rest,as they give no warning - just log a "Pressure signal constantly high" fault and put the EAS into fault state.