110 fron t diff seal

I have a 110 csw defender 1994 SALLDHMF7MA946442

The seal on the fron t diff has gone where the propshaft enters the differential

I have called up Landrover and they have told me I can buy a seal for £19.64 or £9.27

or I can buy a kit with a new flange for £64.63

Does any one know what the difference is and secondly how difficult is it to do the job

I am quite competant at DIY mechanics but have never done the job

Cheers

Ashley

right then, remove 4x prop to flange bolts. undo large (28mm???) nut hat holds on the flange. remove flange & mud shield. Then you can see the seal. Sick a crewdriver in and pull it out (care with inside face where seal "seals" if you know what I mean?. Its not particuarly difficult or tight. then drift in new seal using old seal (stops you buggering new one.

Look at paddocks or craddocks spares online for the seal its about £1 ! the parts number is FRC8220.

note. when I did mine it still dripped a little (drive flange was actually worn where the seal touched it) so I drifted it in an extra 4-5 mm and its been dry as a bone for the last 17,000 mile.

ps. tighnten the flange bolt (28mm???) to approximately "TIGHT" setting. (70 to 120 ft/lb, but I asked the dealer and he said "just do TIGHT" !

easy job,

Jas

I have a 110 csw defender 1994 SALLDHMF7MA946442

The seal on the fron t diff has gone where the propshaft enters the differential

I have called up Landrover and they have told me I can buy a seal for £19.64 or £9.27

or I can buy a kit with a new flange for £64.63

Does any one know what the difference is and secondly how difficult is it to do the job

I am quite competant at DIY mechanics but have never done the job

Cheers

Ashley

How do you know it's the seal??

Check the axle breather pipe to see it's not blocked before you tackle the seal.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

removing the 28mm nut can be fun or is that frustrating! that aside a very easy quick job. You will also contemplate buying a difflock prop shaft tool after you have taken the props on and off a couple of times!!!!