Disco Ant Farm

Rolly

My Disco has turned into a 9-year-old's school biology ant farm project.

They're living in the panels, they're living in the external trim, I found a horde feeding on a dead spider on my bonnet today so i suckered them in with a drop of golden syrup then substituted it for the insides of a Baileys Irish Cream Liquour Chocolate and now I have them addicted. They are totally in my control and now my plans for world domination can come to fruition. You'll be hearing all about it on the news soon.....

You may have heard or noticed that certain insects are attracted to electrical components and this can have nasty results.

There was a famous case here of a Disco II owner who parked near to the sea somewhere. When he came back the engine would not start, a TD5 I think it was. It was eventually found that ants had invaded his 'spider' and either from secretions of formic acid or just by dying in there they had completely immobilised the vehicle. He eventually had to get it towed 600 kilometers back to Johannesburg to get it fixed.

In the US there is a type of ant that lives in microwave ovens, seemingly unaffected, and they have terrible bites.

In the US there is a type of ant that lives in microwave ovens, seemingly unaffected, and they have terrible bites.

OT but I think that the mechanism is that the microwaves generally take a few seconds (10~20?) to kill ants and therefore they have enough time to move to the dead spots in the standing-wave pattern that is inside the chamber. How do ants detect microwaves? Same way you would - they get hot!

Extra OT: I used to know a man who was a navy aircraft technician on carriers in the late 1950s. He said that since the hanger decks (where they were doing maintenance) were unheated it could be well below freezing at times - so they used to switch on the aircraft's radar and hold their hands in front of it to warm them up! :o