Brake bleeding

Reg

Has anybody tried creating a Heath Robinson DIY vacuum pump for brake bleeding, I have been thinking about how it could be done:

1. Connect engine vacuum from inlet manifold to a container with a shut off valve, add maybe a S111 vac reservoir.
  2. Use a vac pump such as a RR cruise control pump, reservoir etc.
  3. Use diesel engine vac pump coupled to a small electric motor.
  4. Use a Series alternator and vac and drive it off a motor using the existing pulley.

I know you con buy hand Vac pump kits and some fancy industrial units but Im thinking of using bits out of the "box in the shed" kind of things.

I'm not sure what/if there is any benefit to using vacuum over pressure, I use a pressure bleeder (Gunsons in my case) and have never had a problem bleeding the brakes with it.

The reason I mention this is I think it would be easier to make a pressure bleeder than it is to make a vacuum bleeder. A spare wheel aired down to 20psi makes a reliable and stable "power source" for the system and you can use it either with or without a fluid reservoir. Beyond that, all you need is a few bits of pipe and a spare reservoir cap.

Having a fluid reservoir is more complicated but saves a bit of time as you don't have to worry about the amount of fluid you're using, it also makes it a doddle to do a complete fluid change. If you modify a cap off a bottle of brake fluid you can use the bottle as a reservoir although you'd want to do some checks with air only first to make sure it's sealed and won't explode on you !