DISCO 2 STILL SINKING AFTER NEW BAGS FITTED

kingo30

My Disco 2 started to sink mainly the drivers side but then eventually overnight both sides would drop, had the bags changed at my local indie today and Ive just checked it and its back down, im now at a loss, all was fine until last sat when it first happened, it raises up quickly when the engines is started and goes to off road height quickly but then drops down overnight even now with new bags, has anyone any Ideas what may be wrong ??????

Thanks

Could be the main valve split. The air suspension control unit is under the passenger side - midway down the vehicle.

gallery_2_522_23732.jpg

gallery_2_522_15616.jpg

The valve is replaceable and comes in a little kit.

This thread is replacing the valve in a Range Rover, but is basically the same method (but more awkward)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15994

Les.

took it back today they have changed the drivers side again as it was a small leak at the top were the air comes into the bag, he thinks he has had a dodgy batch of bags as when he fitted them both yesterday he noticed the new passenger one was leaking to, they are both now completely different makes to what he originally fitted, fingers crossed for tonight.

Thanks

Trev

I would check the main valve as detailed in the above thread. It only takes a small hole for the suspension to drop overnight. The repair kit is only £30-odd quid. Apart from the labour, checking it costs nothing. It can really only be bladder, pipework, main valve, or perhaps electronic fault.

You could alternatively, convert the rear end no normal coil spring suspension. The whole kit to do this is only about £80, and is a straight foward spanner job.

Les.

I would check the main valve as detailed in the above thread. It only takes a small hole for the suspension to drop overnight. The repair kit is only £30-odd quid. Apart from the labour, checking it costs nothing. It can really only be bladder, pipework, main valve, or perhaps electronic fault.

You could alternatively, convert the rear end no normal coil spring suspension. The whole kit to do this is only about £80, and is a straight foward spanner job.

Les.

Thanks Les, they are having it back in tomorrow to check all pipe work and connections, hopefully they can find the leak and cure it, so frustrating not knowing were its is coming from and the fact that having read so many other threads on various forums that state that running it like this could often burn the compressor out and i cant afford that at this time..

Thanks for you advice

Well its been in the Garage all day and they have been up and down eveything to do with the air suspension spraying it with leak finder and cannot find anything leaking, they state its been sitting for over 4hrs and does not appear to have gone down, they are going to keep it over night and see what happens, he did state if it is down tomorrow he will replace the drivers side airbag again as it appears to go down by that side first, this will be the third one in as many days if it still goes down and he replaces it again and the same happens then we are all stuck as they say they cannot do much more than what they have.

Over to you guys if you have possible anymore Ideas, the car is currently being looked at by AJD landrover in Hoddesdon herts if any of you have experience of them, they seem well clued up apart from this.

If they are leaving it to check for a leak, IIRC I think the thing to do is leave a door open as this disables the air suspension system. Otherwise it periodically checks the height and re-adjusts it and will keep doing this until the reservoir is empty and there is not enough air to reset the ride height. Opening a door deactivates this automatic feature.

Maybe if it is a sticky valve it just happens to be not sticking at the moment in which case it may be a PITA to sort out!

I'd dump the air springs and fit coils personally. They don't go wrong often and if they do there will be a loud boing and it is pretty obvious what is wrong :)

If they are leaving it to check for a leak, IIRC I think the thing to do is leave a door open as this disables the air suspension system. Otherwise it periodically checks the height and re-adjusts it and will keep doing this until the reservoir is empty and there is not enough air to reset the ride height. Opening a door deactivates this automatic feature.

Maybe if it is a sticky valve it just happens to be not sticking at the moment in which case it may be a PITA to sort out!

I'd dump the air springs and fit coils personally. They don't go wrong often and if they do there will be a loud boing and it is pretty obvious what is wrong :)

Its a 7 seater ive read somehwere that changing to springs will cause problems with mot and things like that ?

Strictly speaking there is no type approval for a 7 seater with coils because they never made a seven seater with coils. I suspect as Les says you will probably get away with it, the problem *might* be if there is an accident with more than five people in the vehicle and the insurance company are looking for a reason to get out of paying up...

Strictly speaking there is no type approval for a 7 seater with coils because they never made a seven seater with coils. I suspect as Les says you will probably get away with it, the problem *might* be if there is an accident with more than five people in the vehicle and the insurance company are looking for a reason to get out of paying up...

Lets face it they are always trying to get out of paying for things!!!

well had a call from the garage it went down again on that drivers side, again they have fitted another dunlop airbag and cut 10mm from the pipe in desperation and cannot find any leaks on the system, they are lost, i mentioned could it be a sticky valve he was not sure but it could be a possibility, can you just buy the valve block or is it better just to go out and get the full compressor and fit one ???, so far my experiences with My first disco has been a nightmare, knew they can be prone to problems but never expected this, could have bought the car twice over with the money ive spent on her in the last year.

The compressor and valve block are two seperate items. Not sure about a Disco valve block, but a Rangy one is over £700. The individual solenoids are available seperately - the main valve being the only one that's repairable as far as I know.

It won't be the compressor.

Les.

I had a similar problem on my 02 D2 TD5, the air bags were ok but the air pipe to the drivers side had worn through where it crosses over the fuel pipe above the axle cross member. You couldn't tell it was leaking until I ran my hand along the pipe and felt it. hth.

Only if you're sure the valve block is the problem, otherwise you might be wasting £130.

Les.

I am never going to Know if no leak is showing, how do You suggest I test the valve block ??? as far as I can see there is not that much to the air suspension, compressor which houses the valve block pipes, the air bags themselves, ecu slab and the sensor, no leaks found on the bag valves and pipes, it goes up as it should and back down as it should in off road mode, raises to normal heigh in second of being started so it aint the compressor and I do not want to swap to springs.

Well just a quick update they replaced the driver side airbag again at the weekend and cut 10mm of the pipe that goes into tha bag just incase there was a problem with that, again this morning it was sat down on that side again, they think for certain its the valve block on that side, ive told them to go ahead and change it as they cannot not find any leaks anywhere as they have be checking it for leaks all the time, I jope this works ????

I hope these guys aren't charging you for every time you take it back as it's probably getting a tad expensive by now :(

Detecting a leak in the air suspension system isn't exactly rocket science, just method and patience.

Les.

No they have been brilliant, they have just kept changing tha bags for nothing, I will have to pay for the new part obviously but so far they have charged me nothing more from my initial visit