Smokes when starting

I have a 300tdi 90 which has now done 76,000 miles.

I have noticed that in the last few time i have started the 90 that it produces very white smoke for the first couple of mins of running after that if you start it up and there is no smoke. but if you leave it over night then it does it again. one up to temp it is fine, although i do feel it has lots a little power, but not sure.

What could be causing this, I have a feeling it is oil getting where it should not but not sure if that would be a cylinder head problem or something like worn piston rings or something of that nature.

Any suggestions welcome, I would like to get to the bottom of what is causing that to get it sorted.

Thanks

John

sorry i got it wrong the coolant is not half way down the it is all the way down !!

Thats what i get for answering the phone whilst trying to type the last message !!

It has used the tanks work in about 2 months since I last checked it !!

This smokes for about the first 2-3 mins and it looks a little blue is and it really smells of what i assume is burning oil !

I have looked at the oil level on the dip stick and it is the same about half way between high and low and there is on visible alterations in the colour.

John

• 2 weeks later...

john, where did you get with this one? - I ask because mine (TD5) has started issuuing a cloud, just on startup - and it's white-ish with a slight hint of blue - sort of 'blue rinse', then - it also runs ragged just for <1/2 a minute.

But I also notice that I've used about 1/3 of a header tank of coolant over the last few thousand miles.

I'm just wondering whether to start worrying about head gaskets yet...

so what did you find?

regards

Dont panic yet.

I think in cold weather with a high humidity all engines are blowing out white smoke for a short time.

As said above refill the reservoir and see if there are bubbles (air bubles). I think it is more likely to have a leak in the coolant system rather than a head gasket failure.

Do you have sufficiant antfreeze in the system or is it water?

Dont panic yet.

I think in cold weather with a high humidity all engines are blowing out white smoke for a short time.

As said above refill the reservoir and see if there are bubbles (air bubles). I think it is more likely to have a leak in the coolant system rather than a head gasket failure.

Do you have sufficiant antfreeze in the system or is it water?

the coolant has antifreeze in, but how to check concentration...

haven't found a leak yet, and actually, the white smoke thang is only mornings, not afternoons even after 8-9 hours standing.

Just as an aside; when the truck is parked facing downhill (steep drive) overnight, it white smokes and misses for a few minutes (<2 max) - BUT, if parked on the flat over night, less white smoek and considerably less misfire (almost none at all)

something to think about