Mig welder problem

rusty_wingnut

My ever reliable Telwin MasterMig 140 (with upgraded bridge circuit) has developed a problem.

The gas feed stays on the whole time, i think it's possibly one of two things:

-knackered trigger

-Knackered solenoid valve.

It has a Parweld euro torch and doesn;t look obviously dismantled so i'm not so keen to take it apart and look. the old man reckons upon a kmnackered switch but the wire feed works as normal so i'm unsure.

The weder had a major overhaul rouglhy 2 years ago when purchased, the chap runs a dealership in welders and is highly experienced. He uprated the bridge circuit and the welder has no issues dealing with girders etc.

I'm going to call the chap tomorrow and get his view on it, but wanted to ask if anyone has had a similar problem and what the fix was. Opinions welcome on the problem as well.

Cheers gents.

Howdy.

Solenoid.

I think I'm right in saying the trigger only has one circuit through it - so ON/OFF, not gas on/off and wire feed on/off and amps on/off. therefore, if it knows when to spit out wire, it also knows when to spit out gas.

If its euro type I'm pretty certain this is the case. You can check by undoing the torch from the machine - you'll see the little contacts there next to the gas and wire feed orifices. Try shorting out the contacts to see what happens - with a bit of wire or something.

Have you tried whacking the solenoid? Its almost certainly stuck.

Hope it helps - should be pretty ok to fix.

Cheers, Al.