lack of power

joe sharpe

hi all i have a problem please help :angry::( after leaving work today as i went to accelerate the power died and started to make a grating noise then a high pitched whistle/werring kind of noise (like blowing through a comb with paper on)engine still runs sweet as a nut except no guts no visable smoke from exhaust ,

cheers joe.

200tdi disco 91h.

Might just be a turbo hose leakage.

Have someone sit inside the car and put it in gear , brake fully and give it some throttle. It should be able to make the turbo get up some pressure then.

Then try to find out if there is any leakages on the hoses or the intercooler. If not remove the hoses from turbo and intercooler and inspect them for damages. They might have collapsed on the inside as well and blocks for air.

Check the hoses, but I don't like the bit about the 'grating noise'. But, when the turbo 'goes' there is normally smoke from the exhaust. I suppose it is possible for the turbo to lose its blades and not ruin the bearing, but normally there is quite a lot of oil smoke (blue).

You can take the inlet pipe off the turbo and feel for play in the bearing. There is normally a very small bit of play, but if you can rattle it up and down the turbo has gone south.

I saw a minced turbo once where somebody had clearly left something in the intake plumbing and the blades were all chipped. It ran fine but sounded somewhere between a 1500hp tractor pulling monster engine and a Stuka when under load :D

I don't like the bit about the grating noise either :( I'd take the turbo hose off and see what the impeller looks like inside.