Engine questions

lawrence

Hi hope you can help.

I have a few questions

1) I am looking at buying a discovery but am a little confused over the engine specs.

apart from the age of the car is there a difference between a 200 and a 300 tdi as they both seem to be the same size at around 2,5 litres.

2) would you also recomend one engine over another, purly on the spec or is it more down to how well the engines has been looked after.

3) if well cared for how many miles can you possible get out of one of these engines before it becomes scrap.

Hope you cvan help lots of thanks. Neil

200 and 300Tdi engines are very similar not much to seperate them same bhp and torque the 300 is a little more up to date, uses serpintine belts auto tensioners ect., As for the cars they are a bit different, the 300 is the later model and has a better dash and genrally more equipment.

The engines should easily last 250,000+ miles if looked after but the discovery body work will proberly fail long before the engines do.

hope this helps a little.

Dave.

200 and 300Tdi engines are very similar not much to seperate them same bhp and torque the 300 is a little more up to date, uses serpintine belts auto tensioners ect., As for the cars they are a bit different, the 300 is the later model and has a better dash and genrally more equipment.

The engines should easily last 250,000+ miles if looked after but the discovery body work will proberly fail long before the engines do.

hope this helps a little.

Dave.

That helps a lot thanks

i only have landrovers with the 200tdi motor in them.. had head gasket problems on the 300s more than once.. td5 was gutless and didnt like water and v8 petrols definately dont like water!!

on my last outing in the 200tdi disco i got stuck in a lake which filled the car up to just below the top of the steering wheel.. the intercooler filled with water and the barrels were full too..... i took the top hose off the intercooler and towed it about 200 yards in 4th gear and it started.. revved it up to spit the water out of the cooler and connected the hose up again.............. still starts first turn of the key now.... just the water-logged stereo does not work!!

200tdis cant be beaten!!

Except in any sort of race, of course :P

119mph with my little tyres on.... turbo wound up and silicone hoses.... not sure i would want to go any faster in a 19 year old top heavy motor!!!!!!!!!!!

faster than my mates old td5 off the line and top end too!!!!

and if you read the stickers correctly they say.... you can go fast i can go anywhere!!!