Bought a winch

Pacey

Hi Guys

I've just bought a warn winch, it looks like an 8074. It got a manual gear select cable and one for a drum brake type assembly on the side.

On the top its a got the following stamped, series 8000 model 6503 then gives serial no.20999

It came of the back of a recovery truck where it worked fine. Has been sitting in a mates work shed for awhile now.

What should I check before putting voltage through it?

it will probably be a warn 8000 or an original belleview , i have the same winch along with its older brother , a prototype 8274 .

Im also after the band brake or at least the brake lining .

Ill try and fish out some info and pics on it for you , there are many sites in the U.S. that offer infomation on the classic belleviews and the 8000

8000 and belleview = 8k lb pull -single powered direction - manual band brake

8200 =8k lb pull - both way powered - auto ratchet brake

8274 =8k lb pull - 2 way direction .. - - -1974 produced from

Found out a bit more of internet and the helpful people at Gigglepin, i have the 8000 single powered direction. Getting in the workshop to night to have looksee at it. Pulled some cable out of it on free spool and everything ran through smooth enough. So will get some power through it tonight and see what happens.