Tick Tick Tick

dizzydisco

Hi folks just bought my first disco a 97 300tdi, and think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

I’m in need of a little bit of advice, when I bought her she was making a ticking, tucking noise from the engine, the noise only appears if I press the accelerator a third of the way down, if I drive her with a light right foot she runs almost silently. I put it down to the large hole in the exhaust just before the back box. Changed the exhaust thinking this would resolve it, still there!!! :( Changed the fuel lift pump still there!!!! :angry: The vacuum pump looks like new so think it was changed by the previous owner.

Any one got any ideas?? :unsure:

She doesn’t smoke or use any water or oil.

Mine's been diagnosed as a possible tappet.

I have two sets of ticking noises. When cold, you can hear the exahust manifold gasket ticking away. When warm and you're cruising along, the engine is quiet. When you apply the throttle, a different type of ticking from the back of the engine is very obvious in the cabin - that's the suspected tappet.

I'll just add it on to the list of other things that need sorting over the next few months....

Had a look at the exhaust manifold to day couldn’t really see much,(didn’t sound like it was blowing) is there anything I should be looking for soot deposits? Can I test the gasket?

The more I press the accelerator the deeper the ticking gets. :blink:

Could the head gasket have gone even thou its not using water or oil?

• 4 weeks later...