Chirping under the bonnet

Evening all,

Started to hear a high pitch chirping from under the bonnet during the cold weather. Seems to ease off a bit once warmed up.

I seem to remember past other posts mentioning this as a 300 tdi signature tune, but can't remember what causes it. :blink:

My guess is that it is the water pump or alternator bearings but with all the clatter I cant locate it.

Any ideas or is there anything on the way out?

Thanks.

(1995 300Tdi 74K miles)

I have exactly the same problem. Chirping sound when could.

After a couple of weeks a sound of a worn bearing occured together with it. While the chirping stops after some time when the engine gets warm, the bearing grunch sound remains.

I have already replaced the water pump and the belt tensioner and it came out that they were both fine as there was no improvement at all. :angry2::angry2::angry2:

It is nearly impossible to exactly locate the sounds, even with the head under the bonnet and motor running.

This weekend I will replace the alternator and I then can let you know if it's worth doing it. Very expensive job so far.

The good thing is that after the alternator there is only one possibility remaining: PAS Pump

Will let you know as soon as possible.

This weekend I will replace the alternator and I then can let you know if it's worth doing it. Very expensive job so far.

The good thing is that after the alternator there is only one possibility remaining: PAS Pump

Don't replace the alternator, just take the belt off and see if the noise goes away.

Cheers

David

I have exactly the same problem. Chirping sound when could.

After a couple of weeks a sound of a worn bearing occured together with it. While the chirping stops after some time when the engine gets warm, the bearing grunch sound remains.

I have already replaced the water pump and the belt tensioner and it came out that they were both fine as there was no improvement at all. :angry2::angry2::angry2:

It is nearly impossible to exactly locate the sounds, even with the head under the bonnet and motor running.

Hi santalars.

I have had this 'CHIRPING' for about seven years now, through two tensioners, and three polyvee groove belts.

I have found that on my engine it is simply caused by the back of the belt 'squirming' as runs over the tensioner.

I now regard it as my harmless friend, aided by my growing deafness.

If I put some lubricant on the periphery of the pully it goes away for a short while, but always returns.

On my Volvo car the back of the belt is cross hatched, and silent....

It may some other reason on your engine though, check carfully.

Best regards.

Howard.

2x300TdiDef.

Well, in my case it's less the chirping that makes me nervous rather then the worn bearing sound as I have previously decided to ignore the chirping.

We will see after the alternator exchange if the chirping goes with it as well.

However, "the back of the belt 'squirming' as runs over the tensioner" makes sense to me in relation to the chirping.

Well, in my case it's less the chirping that makes me nervous rather then the worn bearing sound as I have previously decided to ignore the chirping.

We will see after the alternator exchange if the chirping goes with it as well.

However, "the back of the belt 'squirming' as runs over the tensioner" makes sense to me in relation to the chirping.

Hi Santalars,

Did you get to the bottom of the worn bearing sound. Was it the alternator or did you have to replace the PAS pump as well?

I too have a similar sound - a kind of whurring sound at higher revs with the odd chirp now and again and when I release the fan belt the sounds disappear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have replaced the tensioner bearing, alternator and the drivebelt but still have the noise.. The noise disappear when I lubricate the drivebelt, but just for a short while and it's back again.

Does someone have a suggestion for what's wrong?

I have replaced the tensioner bearing, alternator and the drivebelt but still have the noise.. The noise disappear when I lubricate the drivebelt, but just for a short while and it's back again.

Does someone have a suggestion for what's wrong?

i had this when used non genuine belt- the genuine conti tech belt seems to have a textured back surface and was a lot better than a gates or britpart ones, i just lubricated the pulley bearings and cleaned all the pulley grooves including crankshaft one, also i replaced the tensioner as was a bit stiff on the spring, the belt is now quieter than ever in past.

ps do not use belt dressing- i tried this and it seized my vac pump bearing