Hello and MOT question.

rockatansky

Hello

I have been preparing a Range Rover Classic for an MOT that has been off the road for over 4 years. With some fresh fuel it started up fist time! but immediately started spiting it out of a corroded fuel pipe. After sorting out a long list of other niggles in preparation it is nearly ready but I have some questions concerning the MOT test.

On inspecting the rear shocks the top part (dust/muck cover?) that covers the piston has corroded into a large hole. Would this be an MOT fail? The rest of the shock seems fine.

Would like to replace the suspension at some stage but keen to make sure it goes through MOT first.

Are the any particular areas of the chassis to check over too? It is rusty underneath but it all looks pretty solid. I'm not sure what would constitute a pass or fail on parts like, for example, the body mounting points. It is rusty round the mounts but structurally sound, would this pass? Any pointers concerning rust and what is the tester looking for?

Kind regards

Ross

There will be rust anywhere but if it is only surface rust you are OK.

If the tester can poke a hole in the chassis it will fail. If he can poke a hole in the body within 300mm of a body mounting point, seat mount, seatbelt mount etc it will fail.

Steve