gear change on a cold tdi

maxtherotti

hi all the tdi 300 i tried yesterday seemed a little stiff to go from 2nd to 3rd when very cold anfter doing the shift twice eased up fine ??

is this normal and just wanting a oil change or the start of something a bit more serious??

as a side note its a 98 r reg es so would i be right in thinking this will have a r380 gearbox??

thanks rob

This is a well documented problem for some with various solutions/opinions as to the cure it/help it /ignore it route to go down. I think the bottom line is it is pretty much normal wear and tear on a box and can be helped as stated by changing the oil. Some use fully synthetic from difflock and i think i recall i used mtf 75 from Landrover but i do forget most of the finer details these days( i now claim that there is so much info in my head that some off it is spilling out hence i forget :rolleyes: )so you best check the grade! A bit of sympathy goes a long way on a cold engine/box and most will continue for long after you have past careing.

I also recall that the 98 300tdi is the best of the bunch with all the upgrades/mods having been done by that age including the transfer box. You should indeed have an R380!

whats the difference on the transfer box?

what other mods should it have over a older one?

rob

Now im not known for my great memory but i recall that the input gear/oil feed is changed. The timing gear would be updated and im sure there are a few tweeks along the way that someone that is sat at home in the snow will tell you the date changes of.

Now im not known for my great memory but i recall that the input gear/oil feed is changed. The timing gear would be updated and im sure there are a few tweeks along the way that someone that is sat at home in the snow will tell you the date changes of.

Also a bit short on memory this side, but me thinks the input bearing on the later R380s is wider