L Series No Drive To Front Wheels

bradfez

Hi All,

Any help or advice appreciated,

L seies freelander with no drive to front wheels.

I have taken out the near side drive shaft, and both CV joints are OK.

When I hold the splined output from the gearbox, and get a friend to turn the other roadwheel, I can stop the splines turning, and they feel like they are jumping.

What do you think, duff IRD, or gearbox??

Hi All,

Any help or advice appreciated,

L seies freelander with no drive to front wheels.

I have taken out the near side drive shaft, and both CV joints are OK.

When I hold the splined output from the gearbox, and get a friend to turn the other roadwheel, I can stop the splines turning, and they feel like they are jumping.

What do you think, duff IRD, or gearbox??

Probably the IRD. I am no expert in this, beacause I have rebuilt an IRD box, but not a gearbox and there is definitely something funny about the Final Drive in the gearbox on Freelanders. The differential between the front wheels is in the IRD box and the gears have probably stripped. Certainly that was the problem in one of the boxes I have stripped. That box had also stripped the teeth on the crownwheel and pinion so it had no drive at all.

The Honda PG1 gearbox is very reliable and unlikely to be at fault.

Just out of interest, what RPM does your car do at 70 MPH? Iam trying to work out if mine has been fitted with a petrol gearbox.

Probably the IRD. I am no expert in this, beacause I have rebuilt an IRD box, but not a gearbox and there is definitely something funny about the Final Drive in the gearbox on Freelanders. The differential between the front wheels is in the IRD box and the gears have probably stripped. Certainly that was the problem in one of the boxes I have stripped. That box had also stripped the teeth on the crownwheel and pinion so it had no drive at all.

The Honda PG1 gearbox is very reliable and unlikely to be at fault.

Just out of interest, what RPM does your car do at 70 MPH? Iam trying to work out if mine has been fitted with a petrol gearbox.

my diesel is about 3000 just under on flat road motorway driving if this helps

Hi All,

After stripping out the IRD, and inspecting, I have found a bit of play in one of the bearings, and a damaged thrust washer? on one of the sun gears on the diff, but no damage to the teeth anywhere in the IRD.

further investigation has shown that the splined shaft (where the nearside driveshaft and secondary shaft from the IRD goes in) has no splines on the inside (where the secondary shaft from the IRD fits into the gearbox)

Does anyone know whete I can get this part from, as local landrover dealer could not identify the part I am talking about, or does anyone have a gearbox from an L Series diesel for sale?

Otherwise, does anyone have a damaged gearbox that I can strip the bit out of?

What is the difference between the 1.8 petrol box and the L series diesel box?

Hi All,

After stripping out the IRD, and inspecting, I have found a bit of play in one of the bearings, and a damaged thrust washer? on one of the sun gears on the diff, but no damage to the teeth anywhere in the IRD.

further investigation has shown that the splined shaft (where the nearside driveshaft and secondary shaft from the IRD goes in) has no splines on the inside (where the secondary shaft from the IRD fits into the gearbox)

Does anyone know whete I can get this part from, as local landrover dealer could not identify the part I am talking about, or does anyone have a gearbox from an L Series diesel for sale?

The final drive ratio is different and the diesel is the uprated gearbox.

Hi All,

Sounds like it's just the final drive thats the problem. You could get the petrol gearbox and just use the final drive. I don't think it would be a big job to change, altho I haven't done it yet. I have the Rave CD and it includes the gearbox manual. You don't have to strip the shafts down.

What's the problem the gearing is it too low or too high.

The Diesel is 3.647 where as the petrol is 4.200, so that would make the gearing too low????? Is that right, I always get confused with these things.

Also the Diesel is the uprated gearbox, where as the petrol is not.

If it was me, I would get a fifty quid petrol gearbox of fleabay and take the final drive out of it and put it in the diesel gearbox. I have partially stripped my diesel gearbox tonight and it's not difficult at all and no special tools are required.

The petrol is a very rev happy engine and will think nothing of being driven flat out for hours on end but it has very little toque but the diesel is the complete opposite.

When my wife started racing my silver 1.8 in the British championships trophy class she would hold it in gear and not change up on long muddy hill climbs and I could here the rev limiter from the pits (It used to drive me nuts) but the car never missed a beat.(the belt tentioners never liked it much)

I’m not convinced that you will get much of a result without a compromise in another area of the gearing.

The petrol is a very rev happy engine and will think nothing of being driven flat out for hours on end but it has very little toque but the diesel is the complete opposite.

When my wife started racing my silver 1.8 in the British championships trophy class she would hold it in gear and not change up on long muddy hill climbs and I could here the rev limiter from the pits (It used to drive me nuts) but the car never missed a beat.(the belt tentioners never liked it much)

I’m not convinced that you will get much of a result without a compromise in another area of the gearing.

Yeah I think you're right. The crownwheel is easilly changeable on the final drive and that would maintain his current gearing.