New Project 300tdi auto 110

keithjh

Hi All,

Having been after a 300tdi auto for the wife i have given up the idea of buying one already done and decided to do it myself, as is i don`t have enough to do.

Anyway purchased a ex military 110 with the 2.5N/A engine fitted, soon to be removed with manual box and disposed of (will be free to anybody who wants it or it goes in the bin). Obviously the engine mounts will need to be changed but will the autobox "bolt up on the existing mounts" does anyone know and i`m sure someone will know.

The engine and box will be from a disco pre EDC version as i understand that the EDC version will require a lot more work to do. Also should i stick with the disco transfer box or a defender one.

Any ideas help etc appreciated.

Regards Keith

the defender transfer box is more suited to the areodynmics of a Defender than the Disco one you may find the TDI struggling to get top gear on long climbs/hilss.

Red Ibex Andy has done this conversion on his website.

Will Warne has pics etc of his auto conversion recently done.

the defender transfer box is more suited to the areodynmics of a Defender than the Disco one you may find the TDI struggling to get top gear on long climbs/hilss.

Red Ibex Andy has done this conversion on his website.

Will Warne has pics etc of his auto conversion recently done.

OK, I'm not totally sure about the mounts; on a 300tdi the mounts are identical but I think they're differant on older vehicles. Probably the easiest way of doing it is to get hold of a 300tdi type gearbox x-member as that gives you the gearbox and transferbox mounts and then move the engine mounts to suit. This also means you can use an 'off the shelf' centre console which'll cut down the work involved considerably. Getting the engine and gearbox in place is the quick part. Its all the other bits that take the time.

I don't think the conversion to a mechanical fuel pump is too difficult (Andy had to do it to his engine) but its certainly worth doing. They're a lot more reliable and it makes tweeking (essential to remove the laggyness with the tdi and autobox combo IMHO) possible at home. The only downside is you'll have to source an injector pump......

Transfer boxes will be more difficult. A 1.22 (discovery) one will overgear the vehicle too much as top gear on an autobox is higher than manual gearboxes. However, the 1.66 box that's in your vehicle at the moment (and are in all pre wolf MOD defenders AFAIK) will be too low a ratio unless you run big tyres. I have 35" tyres on my vehicle and the gearing's still quite low (however, that's what I wanted). I think a 1.41 ('standard' defender) one would be the best option. It should be very easy to source one of those.

I hope that helps,

OK, I'm not totally sure about the mounts; on a 300tdi the mounts are identical but I think they're differant on older vehicles. Probably the easiest way of doing it is to get hold of a 300tdi type gearbox x-member as that gives you the gearbox and transferbox mounts and then move the engine mounts to suit. This also means you can use an 'off the shelf' centre console which'll cut down the work involved considerably. Getting the engine and gearbox in place is the quick part. Its all the other bits that take the time.

I don't think the conversion to a mechanical fuel pump is too difficult (Andy had to do it to his engine) but its certainly worth doing. They're a lot more reliable and it makes tweeking (essential to remove the laggyness with the tdi and autobox combo IMHO) possible at home. The only downside is you'll have to source an injector pump......

Transfer boxes will be more difficult. A 1.22 (discovery) one will overgear the vehicle too much as top gear on an autobox is higher than manual gearboxes. However, the 1.66 box that's in your vehicle at the moment (and are in all pre wolf MOD defenders AFAIK) will be too low a ratio unless you run big tyres. I have 35" tyres on my vehicle and the gearing's still quite low (however, that's what I wanted). I think a 1.41 ('standard' defender) one would be the best option. It should be very easy to source one of those.

I hope that helps,

It certainly does thanks.

Regards Keith

Plus

your 1.66 Transfer box is worth something to sell on if in GWO.

will he says he will use a pre EDC engine so no new injector pump will be required.

it is worth considering buying an auto Discovery and taking all the bits you need then sell on what's left.

that way you have all the clips/fixings at hand.

nearly all the Jap import discos are 300-autos maybe one of the companies bring them in can source you a low mileage crash damaged one? if they could get you one with rear end damage you'll be laughing as they are always low mileage ones.

Blackdown4x4 in Devon import them plus loads of other companies I guess

Not to be the one to disagree regarding transfer boxes, but I think it depends what size tyres you're running. I've got a 1.2 box on my Defender with 235/85s and in my opinion it's perfect. ok, you can't use 5th around town (or really below 40mph) but it's an overdrive gear after all. 4th gear on the auto box is only 5% higher than 5th on the R380. Overall, I like it - I see it as a cheap alternative to get (nearly) the same gearing as the GKN overdrive for much less ££.

I suspect your autobox may come with a 1.2 t-box on it - I'd be tempted to give it a go first and see.

Plus

your 1.66 Transfer box is worth something to sell on if in GWO.

will he says he will use a pre EDC engine so no new injector pump will be required.

it is worth considering buying an auto Discovery and taking all the bits you need then sell on what's left.

that way you have all the clips/fixings at hand.

nearly all the Jap import discos are 300-autos maybe one of the companies bring them in can source you a low mileage crash damaged one? if they could get you one with rear end damage you'll be laughing as they are always low mileage ones.

Blackdown4x4 in Devon import them plus loads of other companies I guess

Ah, yes, I wasn't reading propperly.....

A discovery to pick over probably is the best option as you get a front propshaft, an oil cooler and pipework, a shifter assembly plus some of the fittings and fixtures.

all Discos have the 1.2 Transfer box AFAIK

with the aero dynamics of a Defender 110 I 'd wager you'll be praying for a 1.4 if you fit the 1.2 transfer box.

Agreed. Turbo, your 90 is tweeked. With an auto (so more power loss) and a standard level of tune you won't like a 1.22 transfer box. It'll just be too high and, consrequently, a pig to drive unless your cruising on the motorway.