300tdi timing and will not start

i am desperate for advice so i have posted on another forum :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ok mechanic couldn't make it yesterday so i set about the job of refitting the timing belt

checked all the markings before removing timing belt

placed locking pin (made my own pin to fit the hole on the injection pump)

wood drift at 12 oclock TDC, checked number 1 piston to make sure it was TDC

the cam pulley was about three or four teeth away from the indicating mark

replaced cover and fitted crank pulley, the mark on the crank pulley didn't line up with the mark on the case

ok, removed the cover, locked pin again, removed belt, set the marking on the cam pulley, replaced the belt, rotated engine several times and all makings line up, fitted timing cover and the mark on the crank pulley now lines up with the mark on the cover casing, rebuild and tried to start, the engine turned over but wouldn't start, checked diesel, bleed through no joy.

removed rocket cover and removed rocker arm, checked all push rods none bent, put them all back in the same place, tried engine again no joy

checked for power at the fuel solenoid all ok.

removed rad and bits and pieces checked the timing belt again all markings as above, rebuilt and tried again NO JOY

i know its the timing BUT WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

Was it running fine before you took it apart?

If it was, as you've since changed the timing, it would be logical that putting it back to exactly how it was would cure the problem, or at least get you back to where you started.

Then, you just have to work out why it was like that in the first place!

Was it running fine before you took it apart?

If it was, as you've since changed the timing, it would be logical that putting it back to exactly how it was would cure the problem, or at least get you back to where you started.

Then, you just have to work out why it was like that in the first place!

the engine was out while i was rebuilding the 90

changed the belt while engine was out

fitted engine and started ok, HOWEVER large amounts of white smoke

tried to adjust injector pump but it wouldn't move

having sought advise, i started at the beginning and yesterday refitted the timng belt and now it will not start

everything apperas to line up, but not starting

Sounds like you haven't got the timing quite right...

There is a web on the timing case that should line up with the woodruff key in the crank - start from here.

Then get the cam shaft lined up (triangular mark I think with web on timing case).

Finally, with the injection pump locked (should be at about 1 o'clock) loosen the 3 bolts on the drive sproket. Ensure the sproket is in about the middle of it's movement range.

Fit belt.

Tension belt.

Tighten 3 bolts on injection pump sproket.

Rotate through 2 turns of belt (not crank sproket!)

Check timing again.

Refit cover, crank pulley etc...

Start it up!

Did you slacken the 3 x 10mm head bolts that hold the injector pump sprocket to it's flange?

Les.

no i didn't touch the three bolts, looked at them a lot but was worried if i touched it things wouldn't work

i thought the idea of locking the pulley on the pump was to stop it moving

can i adjust the injection pump through the opening on the timing housing? or do i have to remove everything again rad etc etc

Sounds like you haven't got the timing quite right...

There is a web on the timing case that should line up with the woodruff key in the crank - start from here.

Then get the cam shaft lined up (triangular mark I think with web on timing case).

Finally, with the injection pump locked (should be at about 1 o'clock) loosen the 3 bolts on the drive sproket. Ensure the sproket is in about the middle of it's movement range.

Fit belt.

Tension belt.

Tighten 3 bolts on injection pump sproket.

Rotate through 2 turns of belt (not crank sproket!)

Check timing again.

Refit cover, crank pulley etc...

Start it up!

when i lock my pump the lock pin is in the 11 oclock position

removed the timing belt and started all over, set the timing, it looked as if the injector timing was out, rebuilt and tested,

YES YES YES engine running on the first turn of the key

still have a small amount of white smoke will now fine tune the injection timing

no point in getting older if one doesn't get wiser as everyday is a learning day

thanks to everyone for there input :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

If you've been cranking it over with the pump timing out, then there'll be unburned diesel in the manifold/exhaust, so I would expect it to smoke for a while until it's burned out. Run the engine up to temperature and then see how it behaves the next time you start it from cold.

Les.