Footwell thickness

MECCANO

As it says really, does anyone know the thickness of a series footwell panel, ( the piece with the pressed ribs)?

I've tried measuring it and i estimate just under 1mm. the replacement panels i have seen are quoted as 1.2mm... So i'm hoping they will be easier to weld :ph34r:

Chars Muchly

Chris

1.1mm I think. I use the same or 1.2 for repairs.

Les.

In the words of Homer Simpson "DOH"

I've spent the weekend battling with welding in new metal, and have resulted in a fairly distorted mess after much frustration.

I was planning on cutting my losses and replacing the entire panel. Drilling out all the spot welds, and using these to fix the new panel, maybe with a few additional stich welds where needed. Or would you recommend another approach?

Cheers

Chris

I always go wall to wall and profile to profile - cutting the metal out as much as possible. Welding at a profile/corner is always better as it prevents distortion.

gallery_2_28_165649.jpg

If you have to weld a small plate to a large panel, then short bursts of weld will greatly reduce distortion.

Les.