fault diagnosis on 300tdi edc

CURLY

hi there, i have a 300 tdi disco auto import and the check engine light hasd come on and its started going really REALLY slow.. (limp home mode?)

i cant find the diagnostics plug anywhere!?

does it even have one?

how would i check for faults if it didn't have a diagnostics hole?

HELP ME PLEASE!!

Cheers,

SAm

It depends on the make year your 300tdi is.

The early ones have a dedicated plug to the right of the accelerator pedal, under the A post lower trim, where the ECM ecu is located.

The later ones have an OBD connector under the lower left corner of the glove compartment, accessed without removing any trim.

It's 95 model year which doesn't have an OBD plug.

You'll find the ECM diagnostic plug where I said previously for "the early ones". There must be hanging around there doing nothing with 3 wires coming from the ECM.

I'll try to find a picture or something if you won't be able to find it.

i found a round plug under the a trim, but thought it was nothing.. the garagr didn't have the correct plug for it either. if it is that one, where can i buy one from?

thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated!

just want to get the fault found so i can use the dam thing!!

CURLY

Unfortunately you can't buy one. The corect adapter is part of the LR Testbook diagnostic equipment. Even if you find one you'll still need the Testbook.

The easiest way is to go to a LR approved garage/dealership or some place else that has the full Testbook equipment (with accessories) and have the codes read.

Here's a pic from the book, with where the plug is to be found (X127 - 4 wires):

post-1725-1235150155_thumb.jpg

Could be true for the UK market, I don't know. But LR produced and sold 95 (M) and early 96 (N) models with EDC Tdis. They also 'bothered' to print the 95 manual accordingly :)

Here's the table were you find what you can diagnose with the Testbook:

post-1725-1235169727_thumb.jpg

Here are the cables/interface needed for diagnosing EDC models:

- M and N EDC models (non OBD plug):

post-1725-1235169777_thumb.jpg

- T, V and W EDC models (OBD plug):

post-1725-1235169786_thumb.jpg

He may have a problem,Microcat shows it as a TDI with EGR,not a 90kw with EDC.But Testbook shows only Jap and Swiss spec with EDC on the MA chassis year range.His car is most likely a Jap car so Testbook will only recognise the blue dtc061a blue connector - not the other one.

If you cant find a 16 pin plug you may end up having to bodge one in before Testbook will talk to it.

It's certainly a Jap import.

You shouldn't rely on what Microcat decodes since it doesn't include a database with VINs for Disco 1s (and has an incomplete one for D2s) so there's no way it can fully recognize a D1 VIN. It only does that from what the letters in the VIN mean, same way we do it manually, which is not enough. Any VIN you will enter with an "F" in the engine code field will be 'recognized' as 2.5 TDI EGR (GEM). Try with later 3TA, 3VA, 3WA VINs, which correspond to 300tdi EDC auto, and see.

As for the Testbook, I think it's a bit smarter then Microcat. I don't have acces to a Testbook to punch in the VIN so I can't tell what it will see or if you can make corrections as to use the correct adapter. Normally there shouldn't be any problem.

There are faults on all the systems,but the vin does go in fully on microcat as it does on my wifes edc auto - trouble is as usual its clear as mud.I put in MA on my Testbook and like I said its EDC for Jap and Swiss only - with the blue connector.And as anyone familiar with Testbook will tell you - you will never get past comms checking if the connector is not the one it asks for.Hence my comment about splicing in a 16pin socket if its not actually there.

Something tels me you have the Omitec T4, not the HP Testbook 1, 2 or 3 which I was referring to.

Although in the T4 manual the DTC0014A cable appears like an optional item, there's no "Y" configuration described (used for the MA models) and Omitec doesn't have this cable on their website, it seems you can't buy one (=2&cHash=53eaf5b030]linky and ).

Possibly they didn't bother to implement this configuration in their software updates so the T4 can't select what , from its p.o.v., doesn't exist.

Same thing the newer SPX IDS, it's compatible only with post 1996 models > linky.

Jumping the wires to the OBD plug might be a solution. It can also be connected to Bosch testers, the ecu is a Bosch 0 281 001 204 EDC 1.3.1 (MSA 11-4.8).

I'd really like to see a VIN from a D1 300tdi EDC decoded by Microcat as having an EDC engine. All the VINs I ever punched in from people who asked for help were never decoded as EDCs. So, if not too much trouble, please give me a VIN# so I can test. Also, please state the Microcat version that decodes it correctly.

No, I have T1 and T4.Even with T1 running elderly 3.11 software and running DRG0011 it still asks for the blue connector to communicate with EDC on Jap or Swiss MA LJ's.

Try LJM73TA175793 in Microcat - its the version everyone downloads from the green oval site.

oh dear, all of this sounds expensive and dificult to do..

is there any way for me to clear the fault codes and just replace each sensor one by one or something?

or how can i splice an obd plug into it?

cheers again!

CURLY