disco brake questions

maxtherotti

hi all my 98 300tdi manual has only got solid discs all round

and the brakes are defo not as good as they were on my rrc auto

is changing the fronts to vented discs/calipers a worthwile mod?

what else would i need to change other than the discs/pads/calipers??

i am planning on doing a fair bit of towing with this car too

rob

As far as I remember, the calipes and discs/pads from a vented 110 are a straight swap - no pipework adjustments or anything else necessary - they are better than the disco set-up as they have bigger pistons - this can lead to increased pedal travel due to the mastercylinder needing to displace more fluid to drive the pistons out...............

i dont want a soft pedal

mine is ok as it is and the brakes do work ok

just not as well as the range rover ones did (i allways thought they were very good on that miles better than any rrc/disco i have had before)

think i will put new braided hoses on it and new fluid see if that helps firm the pedal up a bit ??

rob

Plus, keep an eye on the play in the bearings - slack in the bearings can allow the disc to run-out vertically, this pushes the pads and pistons back in a touch resulting in the system having to 'take-up the slack' on the first push of the pedal - you need more pedal travel before the pads actuall fully contact the disc. Its more noticable on the fronts as the front system is mainly responsible for pedal travel and feel as its the first piston to pressurise............

I've not done it yet, but braided hoses are a very good way to firm up the pedal.