which tyres on my series 3

colin l

hi

i wonder if you can help. i have a 1978 series 3 landy and have 600 16 tyres on at the moment. i recently aquired a set of 5.5 16 steel land rover rims and was wondering which tyres to put on without any mods. ive been reading some of the threads on this site and correct me if i`m wrong but some people are for or against putting 235/70/16`s on 5.5 rims. would 205 16 tyres be ok , any help would be greatly appreciated

7.50R16 or 235/85R16 are fine, they're the bigger size as fitted to LWB and optionally on SWB. 205's are tiny and look naff IMHO. You can go bigger/wider (search around for more info) but those sizes are what will definitely work as standard.

People don't recommend 235/85R16 as it's just outside the recommended maximum width of the tyre for 5.5 inch rims. However, neither myself or friends have had any problems with running 235/85R16 on standard 5.5 inch rims.

I'd guess that problems would only really occur if you ran the tyres at very low pressures.