Castor correction bushes

RATRACER

HI, anyone out there have any opinions or advice on whether or not it is necessary to correct camber with the offset bushes or even the purpose built correction arms,if we go for a simple 2" suspension lift on my 300 tdi Disco?

What are the consequences of not doing this mod? Also, while we are askin' ,has anyone had propshaft trouble following a lift of 2"?

Look forward to your respose,

RATRACER.........

I have a 2 inch lifton my disco. at speed the steering is a bit vauge, but the 265/75 muds wont help either,

try the lift, see how you feel you can always swap the bushes after, but then you are into altering the prop as the angle is a bit extreem for the uj.

If you use the vehicle off-road you may find that the bushes restrict the already not very good front articulation where as the arms will not.

As already said if you need to correct the castor your will probably have to change your front prop to a double cardon type to cure the ensuing vibration.

On mine a 2" lift left the handling not at all nice, very vague at anything above 45 Mph. However I also know that when this subject has been raised before lot's of people have said they have had no problems at all.

Pete

Thanks for your responses so far,

I will try the lift, see how she handles and then consider the castor correction bushes/arms. Am i correct in assuming that if i correct the castor, then i will need modded cardan shaft at the front? Or as i was led to believe by the magazine adds that modded cardan shafts are only needed for lifts of 3" plus?

Best regards, RATRACER..........

You are changing a critical part of the steering geometry with a 2" lift - how much is clearly a question for debate.

When I did mine, I used castor correction arms and double cardan front prop and the result, even with 235/85 tyres (MT BF), was great. I have done 3 round trips to the South of France from Aberdeen without the slightest question as to steering at motorway speeds, and have also spent considerable time offroading in Scottish Peat and Spanish Sand.

If you want good all round performance, I would recommend going for some form of castor correction, and can say that the route I chose has not disappointed! :P