110 td5

I noticed last night that the fuel pump in the tank? was on all the time! making a buzzing noise. Iam almost sure that it didnt do this before :blink: It drove me 100 mile home without any problems but Iam a bit concerned. Is there something wrong? any help greatly appreciated.

The fuel pump should start as soon as you turn on the ignition. If you do not start the engine it goes off again after about 30 seconds. The fuel pump runs all the time the engine is running. The pump should go off when you turn the engine off.

If, as you say, the pump runs all the time then the fuel pump relay has stuck and will need to be replaced. It resides under the RHS front seat with the ECU.

If the pump is noisy enough to annoy you while driving then it is time to start saving towards the cost of a new one as it may expire any day.

Try a search of this very forum for 'fuel pump' and learn all about it.

Chris

I noticed last night that the fuel pump in the tank? was on all the time! making a buzzing noise. Iam almost sure that it didnt do this before :blink: It drove me 100 mile home without any problems but Iam a bit concerned. Is there something wrong? any help greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem not so long ago,fuel pump got very noisy and had to be replaced, £250 I think for new pump. Man who did mine cuts a hole in the floor and fits disco fuel tank access cover to save dropping out the fuel tank, its cheaper and saves time draining all the fuel from the tank so you can drop it. £5 for access cover. Then got ecu about 2 weeks later, wallet busted........

Looks like my wallet is in for a nasty shock :( What sort of problems do the fuel pumps cause when there giving up?

They get noisy when they are giving up, then they go quiet; along with the engine. The next sound you hear is the sound of money fluttering out of your wallet.

Chris

after all that noisy whining, the pump will give up one morning when you are in a rush to get to work and it's pouring heavily. the truck will not start, most of the time. if you are lucky, it might start but will not accelerate properly. hence you're better off at pushing your landie to your office.

so if you start hearing the whine, best to order one to keep.

I had the same problem not so long ago,fuel pump got very noisy and had to be replaced, £250 I think for new pump. Man who did mine cuts a hole in the floor and fits disco fuel tank access cover to save dropping out the fuel tank, its cheaper and saves time draining all the fuel from the tank so you can drop it. £5 for access cover. Then got ecu about 2 weeks later, wallet busted........

Any chance you can put a picture up of access cover you had fitted?

check there isnt a second rubber washer under the fuel filter. That can cause them to take in air all the time

can you expalin more? you mean the one in the wheel arch i noticed it was louder after changing it but it sdettled down afterwards back to "normal"

I took picture for access to fuel pump. Have to drill out the rivets for strap on floor, I can add measurement later if you want.

Graham.post-14655-1237470934_thumb.jpg

I took picture for access to fuel pump. Have to drill out the rivets for strap on floor, I can add measurement later if you want.

Graham.post-14655-1237470934_thumb.jpg

Yer Graham measurements would help a lot cheers. Where can I order one of those inspection covers?

Ok, I am back again, took another picture looking down directly on top of cover plate as best I could, printed, added sizes, scanned,reduced and now going to attach, jaysus, worked all day and did less.

Bear in mind, my landy is ply lined with 3/8 ply so you will have to add 10mm per side to each measurment respectivly.post-14655-1237493576_thumb.jpg

I suppose you can get a cover from your nearest main dealer, which Disco model it is I dont know but at only a fiver a pop, thats what the man charged me.

Graham.

its a discovery 1 cover. 380111039387 listed on ebay for £1.00