freelandr cam shaft oil seals

rickykool

Hi new to the site, I am presently replacing a blown head gasket on 1.8 K engine. Got to replacing the camshaft oil seals, but can't remember which way round, I assume that the cup side goes towards the centre of the engine and flat side outward facing. Is this correct? Also I like to know correct position of sigots on end of cams before relocating them, I do realise that the sigot pin engages with the ex or in as stamped on the spockets. I also notice that when the head was off, that the pistons were raised slightly on 2&3 and 1&4 were slightly down the bores, is this also okay?

Thanks in advance, interesting reading from Les Henson been very helpful thanks Les

:rolleyes: Hi new to the site. Been reading up Les forum on replacing a blown head gasket for a 1.8 K petrol engine.

A couple of quick questions.

What way round should the cam shaft oil seals be fitted? cups in towards the engine , flat side outwards it what I have assumed. Also in the set I purchased they are all black, not black and red, does it matter?

What the sigot positions on the exhaust and inlet cams for re-assembly? I appreciate that the pins are located in the ex and inlet marked positions.

and lastly When I took head off the two centre pistons were raised slightly and the outer piston further down the bore, is this correct okay for the timing position?

Many Thanks expecially to Les

Only two things that I can rememeber off the top of my head at the moment.....

Yes you have cam shaft oil seals correctly fitted.

The 'TDC' on the K-series engine puts the pistons all halfway up the cylinders. This means that you can spin the cams without risking damage to the valves once the head is on again.

If the crank is not properly lined/timed up then it will become fairly obvious once you start fitting the cam belt. I seem to remember there being a keyway in the crank pully for the cambelt. This is usually at the 12 or 6 o'clock position when the crank is set right.

HTH

Thanks for all your replies still leaning to use the site

All help appreciated, I will drop the lower timing cover and check crankposition. The spigots I refer too are roller pins on front end of each camshaft that locate in to cam gear wheels.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

On the back of each cam sprocket is a 'V'-shaped slot. The tip will be marked 'inlet', and the other 'exhaust', and this is so that either sprocket can be fitted to either camshaft (they are otherwise identical). If you are fitting a sprocket to the inlet (rearmost) camshaft, then the locating peg in the cam has to be in the slot marked 'inlet'. Same scenario for the exhaust. Once the sprockets are fitted to the cams, you time them in the usual way as described in the thread.

Les.

• 3 years later...
All pistons should be level with each other when the timing is set.

The colour of the cam seals doesn't matter and the cups face inwards.

Not sure what you mean.

Les.

I know it's an old post, but this came up on an internet search of mine.

i feel i should correct it for the sake of anyone changing their camshaft seals.

black LUC100290L are fitted to the timing side and red/brown LUC100220L are fitted to the gearbox end.