sorry range rover question

nick w

unfortunatly whilst off roading recently the indicator fuse blew on the range rover which also means the diff lock light stops working having not noticed this i drove home around 30 miles with the diff locked it was mainly motor way but since this stupid mistake oil has been leaking from the diff i belive. Although despite much effort i cant find the exact source or the leek any advice or help would be greatly appriciated thanks :angry:

Guest noggy

oil leaking from the diff... which diff?

driving around with difflock engaged will have just scrubbed your tyres i imagine, and if it is still driving it cant have done too much damage.

You do realise when you lock your diff on a standard range rover, it means the diff in the transfer box, NOT in the axle.

oil leaking from the diff... which diff?

driving around with difflock engaged will have just scrubbed your tyres i imagine, and if it is still driving it cant have done too much damage.

You do realise when you lock your diff on a standard range rover, it means the diff in the transfer box, NOT in the axle.

no i did not realise that feel a right prat now it seams to be leaking from the front diff thanks for your help but still mistified as to where exactly its coming from though HELP

A not uncommon leak on LR axle diffs is from the pinion oil seal. This seal stops oil leaking out past the flange the propshaft bolts to, but the do wear out and usually end up with the propshaft flicking oil around under the vehicle.

Another potential leak around the diff is from hairline cracks where the diff pan is weleded to the axle casing.

The last obvious place for a leak would be if the gasket between the cast diff acrrier and the axle casing has degraded, but I've not come across before. Beyond these I would expect you have done something out of the ordinary to create a leak.

The difflock being engadged sounds like coincidence.

A not uncommon leak on LR axle diffs is from the pinion oil seal. This seal stops oil leaking out past the flange the propshaft bolts to, but the do wear out and usually end up with the propshaft flicking oil around under the vehicle.

Another potential leak around the diff is from hairline cracks where the diff pan is weleded to the axle casing.

The last obvious place for a leak would be if the gasket between the cast diff acrrier and the axle casing has degraded, but I've not come across before. Beyond these I would expect you have done something out of the ordinary to create a leak.

The difflock being engadged sounds like coincidence.

thanks very much will look at these avenues glad my mistake with the diff lock is prob not to blame

Guest noggy
........... gasket between the cast diff acrrier and the axle casing has degraded, but I've not come across before.....

my landrover leaks from there, but not even enough to make a drip.

Do you have diff guards? I'm wondering if you gave the diff pan a knock (particularly if it's the front one) and have a small puncture in it?

You can get seepage of oil through corroded areas of the diff pan, but you wouldn't get a serious drip from this, and it wouldn't be new (though I guess you might have aggravated it).

Do you have diff guards? I'm wondering if you gave the diff pan a knock (particularly if it's the front one) and have a small puncture in it?

You can get seepage of oil through corroded areas of the diff pan, but you wouldn't get a serious drip from this, and it wouldn't be new (though I guess you might have aggravated it).

thanks guys on closer inspection it was just corrosion spots which had been agravated by the off roading and were seeping good lashing of chemical metal has cured it thanks again